• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

    What's the best way you all have found to drain the engine oil from a Mercruiser engine? I don't have a drain tube on the oil pan. I have been looking for a pump that I can use through the dip-stick tube, but every one I find, there are horrible reviews saying that it doesn't work well, etc.

    So, what's the easiest/best way to remove the oil from my (1989) 350 Mercruiser?
    2001 Cruisers Yacht 2870 - Twin 5.0 Volvo DP DuoProps


  • #2
    Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

    I use a Moeller, and it works perfectly, spills not a drop!

    [IMG]http://www.**************************/userportal/woeimages/Engine/9547.jpg[/IMG]

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

      You should have a dip stick tube that mounts in the bottom of the oil pan. Which means all you have to do is hook up a hose to the top of the dipstick tube and suck the oil out. After you warm the engine up. You do not have to stick a tube down inside of the dipstick tube.
      Don S.

      sigpic

      Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
      That is what the forums are for.
      Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

        $15 plastic pump from shuck's works just fine for me,,,
        My current 91 Four Winns cuddy Restoration,,,
        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=374684
        1991 Four Winns 20' 4.3L
        1987 Bayliner 18' 5.0L
        2005 Escalade Towing

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

          Originally posted by Don S View Post
          You should have a dip stick tube that mounts in the bottom of the oil pan. Which means all you have to do is hook up a hose to the top of the dipstick tube and suck the oil out. After you warm the engine up. You do not have to stick a tube down inside of the dipstick tube.
          When did they change that Don? I see people mention they hook the hose to the top of the tube a lot here.
          My engine is a 1978 5.7, I have to stick the tube inside of the dipstick tube, but it works great. A couple pumps then walk away. Come back and the oil is all sucked out.

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

            if ya don't have the special dip stick all the way to the bottom. the tool skargo uses works great. it's what i use too... very clean way to do the deed..
            'Lime Time'
            1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
            Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

              Thanks for the feedback, folks. That Moeller pump is a pricey little bugger. Sounds like the way to go though. Ordering one now.

              Thanks!
              2001 Cruisers Yacht 2870 - Twin 5.0 Volvo DP DuoProps

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                Originally posted by skargo View Post
                When did they change that Don? I see people mention they hook the hose to the top of the tube a lot here.
                My engine is a 1978 5.7, I have to stick the tube inside of the dipstick tube, but it works great. A couple pumps then walk away. Come back and the oil is all sucked out.

                It was in the early to mid 80's they started using the dipstick hooked to the pan, not sure exactly when. If the dipstick tube is attached to the bottom of the pan, you don't need a tube inside it.
                Don S.

                sigpic

                Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                  Originally posted by Don S View Post
                  It was in the early to mid 80's they started using the dipstick hooked to the pan, not sure exactly when. If the dipstick tube is attached to the bottom of the pan, you don't need a tube inside it.
                  Gotcha, I had heard of people hooking them to the tube and was confused.

                  I actually got my Moeller from a vendor who gives coupons for so much money spent, made it cheap. I think it retails around $60 IIRC.

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                    like you, i was skeptical of all pumps due to reading reviews and opted on the Moeller also. west marine had it on sale online last year so i bought it then. my buddy went to buy one a couple months ago and they weren't selling them anymore in the store or on the web. i get one of there numerous emails the other day and see there selling them again under there own name! anyway, it is an awesome pump and comes with both tubes for the screw on and non screw on dipstick tubes. now if i only had a oil filter relocation kit, id be set! man did i make a mess getting a frozen filter off.
                    "Just Chillin" 1995 Donzi 275 Medallion Merc 7.4 I/O Bravo 3
                    sigpic

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                      Originally posted by scutly View Post
                      like you, i was skeptical of all pumps due to reading reviews and opted on the Moeller also. west marine had it on sale online last year so i bought it then. my buddy went to buy one a couple months ago and they weren't selling them anymore in the store or on the web. i get one of there numerous emails the other day and see there selling them again under there own name! anyway, it is an awesome pump and comes with both tubes for the screw on and non screw on dipstick tubes. now if i only had a oil filter relocation kit, id be set! man did i make a mess getting a frozen filter off.
                      I dumped oil in my bilge, by dropping my filter. I'll use a freezer bag next time!
                      I have one of those oil absorbers in my bilge right now.

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                        Originally posted by skargo View Post
                        I dumped oil in my bilge, by dropping my filter. I'll use a freezer bag next time!
                        I have one of those oil absorbers in my bilge right now.
                        Great idea!! I did not think of using a freezer bag when taking of the oil filter off. I just used an old towel and put it under the filter. Now a can save a towel. Thanks
                        1994 19' Chaparral 1930SST Bowrider 5.7L 4bbl Rochester

                        Comment



                        • #13
                          Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                          Originally posted by PitchFork View Post
                          Great idea!! I did not think of using a freezer bag when taking of the oil filter off. I just used an old towel and put it under the filter. Now a can save a towel. Thanks
                          I didn't think of it either, I read about it here AFTER I made a mess haha

                          Comment



                          • #14
                            Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                            Here is the thread about the one I made for under $20, it works great.
                            http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=360990
                            2004 Glastron SX 195
                            Volvo 5.0GL-D SX-M

                            Comment



                            • #15
                              Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

                              Ditto on the Mueller/West Marine pump. I've used it on my last two boats. Warm your engine first, then shut it down. Put the plastic hose in or on the dipstick tube (I always stuck the hose down the tube.) and pump a few times. Suction does the rest. Using a funnel, pour the used oil into a couple of gallon jugs and recycle properly. Keep some toweling handy for any drips as you remove the tubing. The 305/350 oil filter is a real challenge if you don't have a relocation kit. A large ziplock bag works great once you've got it loose. Remember to check that the old rubber seal came off with the filter. Put a little oil on the new seal and fill the filter before you install it. Then sit back and have a cold one. Good luck. Hy

                              Comment


                              Working...
                              X