New Mercruiser drain and fill plug gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
I have noticed on the 2009 and up Alpha drives they are now using a yellow rubber type crush gasket instead of the blue ones.
Anyone know if these are just a newer design or must they be used on the new drives?
Doing a service on one right now and i only stock the blue gaskets..:rolleyes:

cr2k

Captain
Re: New Mercruiser drain and fill plug gaskets

If they fit the screw they should work.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yep,The blue ones still fit.
I was at my local dealer this morning getting some other parts and they had no clue about yellow gaskets.
This is the first service on this drive from the factory so i guess its something new that the local dealer has not seen yet?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Gary,
They are a new designed gasket that will replace the blue ones once the stock on those runs out. The blue gaskets have to "crush" to form a seal. The yellow ones are silicone and do not require being "crushed" to form a seal.

That being said, whenever I install drain plugs, no matter which gasket i'm using, I tighten the plug with a screw driver then pull out the hand impact screwdriver and give it a light tap or 2 with a hammer.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Jason! It's a shame my local dealer had no clue about this...:rolleyes:

I figured it was an updated design. The local dealer gets 90 cents each for the blue ones.The yellow ones will probably double in price when they start getting them.
I charge a buck each for the blue ones and have had a couple people ask why.Geeze! Wow,i made 10 cents for getting them...lol!

Fun Times

Staff member

Back in 04 MerCruiser had to use a new fill/drain plug, See Service Bulletin number 2004-02 for the start of needing to go to the new style gasket used in some Situations back then. Now there is A shorter version of the 22-67892A05 fill/ drain plug (new part number 22-67892A06) will be available in the future to fit all applications. Drain Plug 22-67892A06 Now supersedes all other drain plug that will now require you to use the new yellow seals, Part number 26-830749 at a list price of $3.00 for each seal, And only six come in a pack.:rolleyes:

If you have the old style gasket that is Blue, orange, black, ect, with an original Drain plug, Then you should still use the old style fiber gasket, That is as long as your serial number calls for the old style gasket to be used. The old gasket part number 12-191832 has now been Superseded to 12-191833 at a retail price of $0.90 each.

Even though I can not find it in writing like I thought I had seen at one time before, I remember them in Mercruiser school talking about the difference between the old style and the new style yellow gaskets has somthing to do with the thickness of the gaskets helping the magnetic end get closer to the gears sets in some applications and further away in other applications so it will not hit, Or getting it closer so it can do it's job and pick up a little bit more if needed due to the new style drain plugs they now have out.

Mercruiser also said they did different colors so that people will not mix the two styles up, Because they could leak.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Good info Boat Tech,Thanks!

I guess i need to get some yellow ones on order...3 bucks each...Geeze!
The service i did yesterday is right down the street..I guess i need to get him back in for the yellow gaskets before he runs it all season.It's a new rig under warranty so i better change them out.

Sundancer33

Cadet
I have noticed on the 2009 and up Alpha drives they are now using a yellow rubber type crush gasket instead of the blue ones.
Anyone know if these are just a newer design or must they be used on the new drives?
Doing a service on one right now and i only stock the blue

Doing a service on one right now and i only stock the blue gaskets..:rolleyes:
I've been using the yellow ones for 20 years and never had a problem. If I take the drain plug out it always gets a ew one.

Status
Not open for further replies.