Gimble bearing removal update.

ulster1

Seaman Apprentice
I have reviewed the different ways to remove gimble bearing but before I start cranking on a bearing puller I want to be sure there is no retaining ring holding the bearing in place.
My drive serial # is OL935713 do I set up the puller and just crank?
I have not removed the bellows assy can the bearing be removed through it.

Update, Had to drill it out spent 2 hours drilling 3/16" holes in aluminum outer ring then opened up every other hole to 1/4" installed bearing puller and it slid out easy.
If you read the full post you will see the progress.:D

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Gimble bearing removal ???

Crank away.... :D:D

Bearing comes out though the bellows, no problem...

Chris.......

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you haven't replaced the bellows in a few years now would be the time.

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

When they set that bearing up at the factory the removal of the bearing (not the race) comes out at 1 and 7 O'clock. You need no puller for that, it "turns" outward in the race (you should be able to see the cut out in the race). Once lined up and turned, you just yank it out. Reassembly the same way. Unless you need to replace the race, the bearing is all we changed out.

If replacing the race too; there is a large snap ring holding the bearing race in. Slapping it with a hammer puller will yank it out but you may be replacing the gimbel housing if you do.

achris

When they set that bearing up at the factory the removal of the bearing (not the race) comes out at 1 and 7 O'clock. You need no puller for that, it "turns" outward in the race (you should be able to see the cut out in the race). Once lined up and turned, you just yank it out. Reassembly the same way. Unless you need to replace the race, the bearing is all we changed out.

If replacing the race too; there is a large snap ring holding the bearing race in. Slapping it with a hammer puller will yank it out but you may be replacing the gimbel housing if you do.

[size=+2]WRONG, WRONG, WRONG..... JUST PLAIN WRONG![/SIZE]

Read all the service manuals and all the service bulletins..... Merc DO NOT recommend changing the bearing without replacing the carrier (it's a carrier, not a race). Mercruiser even started putting the bearing in so the slots were facing forward. To stop exactly that!

Mercruiser also stopped putting snap rings in the gimbal housing in 1970!!!

Backyard Mech,

Please keep your backyard/shadetree techniques to yourself. This forum is trying to show people the right way of doing things, not the sham way!

Chris..........

ulster1

Seaman Apprentice

Achris Thanks 1970s and no more snap ring so I am going to just pull the bearing out with a puller.
FYI all ---------- This model is in the reverse way so the bearing can not be removed by rotating and removing through the slots.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

in fact the merc manual IN BOLD PRINT states the notches face FORWARD.
but whats funny is the same bearing in a Yamaha shield the manual states the notches face aft.
however BOTH manuals state the carrier and bearing are a matched set and do not mix and match.
I simply follow the service manual as all I am tasked with is a quality lasting repair, the engineering was already done.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

[size=+2]WRONG, WRONG, WRONG..... JUST PLAIN WRONG![/SIZE]

Read all the service manuals and all the service bulletins..... Merc DO NOT recommend changing the bearing without replacing the carrier (it's a carrier, not a race). Mercruiser even started putting the bearing in so the slots were facing forward. To stop exactly that!

Chris, although I DO believe that it is better to replace the unit as a whole, I do not believe the statement in the service bulletin where it says the number one reason not to simply replace the bearing is because...

The bearing is selectively fitted to the cartridge during manufacturing and must remain together as a matched set.

I genuinely do not believe they custom fit each bearing and cartridge together when they make them. (I can see some line assembly worker with a set of calipers making sure this bearing is the right fit for that cartridge. :rolleyes: )

Reason number two is probably the real reason:

Secondly, bearing may be damaged from lack of lubrication, if bearing is installed backwards

Ah! That I can understand! Customers - or mechanics - replacing the bearing and not understanding that the grease hole needs to be on the same side as the slot in the cartridge - no grease gets to the bearing... the rest is history.

Backyard Mech,

Please keep your backyard/shadetree techniques to yourself. This forum is trying to show people the right way of doing things, not the sham way!

I don?t always agree with all the posters?. But a forum is just that - a forum. Where people are free to share ideas. Not all ideas are good, or even wise?. And it is good to point that out. BUT - I for one am glad to see everyone?s input. But that?s just me. ;)

ulster1

Seaman Apprentice

Just back from the boat and very fustraited??
Could not get the bearing out I followed the instructions which indicated to use threaded rod and brace behind the bearing and across the gimble housing I cranked until I thought I was going to bust a gut and then gave up for the day.
Are we sure there is no snap ring on this model 1991 OL935713 in looking at the sk matics on line I do no see one but now I am begining to wonder.
I think I will switch from a 1/2" nc to 1/2" nf which would give me more torque I don't think a 5/8 would be able to get in what do you folks use?

Ulster1

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

fishermark
yes the carriers ARE matced as the bearing is ground and very easy to maintain a less than .oo1 tolerance the carrier is machined aluminium making tolerances a bit tougher to hold.
doesnt matter which way it goes as long as the hole lines up as far as lubrication goes.
if you have ever had one that was previously installed with the notches aft,incorrectly, and had the bearing **** on the driveshaft during removal you would know.
if you have ever seen the damage caused when the bearing spins in the carrier because the bearing outer race did not propely fit the carrier,you would know.
its just to simple to reassemble the machine the way it was designed and it works right 100% of the time with no muss or fuss or later having to pull the engine to remove the drive cause the beaing is cocked on the shft.
ulster
no snap ring on your model but sometimes they get very tight,moreso if the bellows has been leaking.
just follow the service manual for dissasembly and reassembly,manual can be downloaded from this very site.
if you follow ALL the correct procedures replacing bellows,gimbal bearings and shift cables is easy,straight forward and simple.
go off manual and you may find the shift interrupt is a pain as well as some of the other procedures.

ulster1

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Rodbolt, I am going to just crank until something happens will let you know how I make out. No water in this area looks great.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I really am not advocating replacing just the bearing. And I will accept at face value that this is a matched set.

I don't understand what you mean here however:

if you have ever had one that was previously installed with the notches aft,incorrectly, and had the bearing **** on the driveshaft during removal you would know.

Are you talking about installing the whole assembly with the notches aft? That doing it that way causes a problem? It is my understanding that even Mercruiser put them in with the notches facing aft originally. They only turned the bearing assembly around due to the fact that people were replacing only the bearing.

How does the fore /aft direction of the assembly cause the bearing to **** on the driveshaft? :confused:

achris

I really am not advocating replacing just the bearing. And I will accept at face value that this is a matched set.

I don't understand what you mean here however:

rodbolt said:

Are you talking about installing the whole assembly with the notches aft? That doing it that way causes a problem? It is my understanding that even Mercruiser put them in with the notches facing aft originally. They only turned the bearing assembly around due to the fact that people were replacing only the bearing.

How does the fore /aft direction of the assembly cause the bearing to **** on the driveshaft? :confused:

I think Rod's saying that when the carriers were installed with the slots aft, and someone has replaced just the bearing and it was too loose, as the drive is removed the bearing cocks down and locks the drive yoke. The only way to then get the drive out the rest of the way is to remove the engine so you have access to the yoke and can straighten it up to finish pulling the drive off.... Nice little earner if you didn't do the original bearing replacement. :D

Chris......

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno about a nice little earner but Achris is spot on.
however it only seems to happen at the spring time crunch when I am already 6 weeks behind.

ulster1

Seaman Apprentice

Update on bearing removal?
I could not get it out with a puller with 1/2" nc so I called the professionals and figured pay for the job and get it done without any damage.
Well I got a call today and the mech. he gave up after breaking his puller he can not get it out either????
I am going down to the boat tomorrow to start drilling the aluminum ring around the bearing, which in a previous post was the way someone got it out.
I have and axle puller set up with a 5/8" nf thread rod and will use it after !! I hope having loosened the thing by drilling.
Will keep you posted.
Love our boat hate the maintenance.