68 Evinrude Sportsman I/O

mds1986

Recruit
I recently acquired a 68 Evinrude Sportsman I/O for free!! It obviously isn't my boat of choice but I also cant afford a 60k ski boat haha. Overall the boat/trailer is in great shape for being 50 years old. The motor isn't running though, I believe it is a 255ci buick v6? I have a 302 that was going into a project car, is it possible to do a motor swap. From what I have read you need to change several components of the motor for marine use, can someone elaborate for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if its already been asked, I couldn't find it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Hello

Marinizing the engine is the easy part. Just replace ALL of the fuel and electrical components. New core plugs and head gaskets. Track down manifolds $$$ for the 302.......
Mating it to your drive could be more difficult. What drive do you have?

mds1986

Recruit

Ok so the parts for conversion are pretty basic? I dont know any specifics, Im having a real hard time finding any specs on the boat. I have searched with little success. Are the drives boat specific or motor specific?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Moving to the I/O forum. You have a real odd-ball setup there and unfortunately I gotta warn you that you probably aren't going to like the advice you get...... Welcome to iboats though.

Bondo

Staff member

I recently acquired a 68 Evinrude Sportsman I/O for free!!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....
Unfortunately,... You didn't get much for your money...
It's an OMC Stringer drive, with the V6 Buick motor...
Both the drive,+ the motor are Obsolete....

If you could find the Obsolete parts to convert your Ford to OMC,....
And,..
If the drive actually Works,...

Yes you could bolt 'em together,...
But,..
The gear ratio will be all Wrong,+ you'll never find a prop of the right size to make it work Right...

zbnutcase

Commander

VERY obsolete! Just try to find a new exhaust manifold for it. And its 225ci, not 255. 'nutcase