Driveshaft seal BAD LEAK!!!

ricwrocket86

Cadet
I have a 1990 Ski Brendella with the Ford 351w. I bought the boat with a blown motor so I didnt know much about it. Over a 3 month period I spent a few hours here and there and finally got a new motor in it and running. I took it out this past weekend with the wonderful weather and test drove it. I have water leaking from a cracked manifold, waterpump seal, but the most important thing is the drive shaft seal. When the shaft is spinning its pissing a pretty big stream inside the boat. I cant find any info on how to replace the seal. PLEASE tell me I dont have to pull the motor back out to pull the drive shaft and replace the seal. All help is aprecciated.
Also on a side note, when I pushed full throttle from sitting still, it would start to go then all of a sudden seem like it would fall out of gear and rev high. But if I went about half throttle it was fine. Same thing when I tried to eccelerate hard on a left turn. it would fall out of gear, but if I let off and eased back into it, it was fine. I noticed at the end of the day the transmission fluid was alittle low. Maybe a half quart, maybe more. Could that little bit low cause it to do that?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: Driveshaft seal BAD LEAK!!!

Hi Doc, Ric sounds like a prop hub or maybe a drive coupler as far as the slipping at higher speed and then grabing again at lower speed. just a thought

ricwrocket86

Cadet

Its a direct drive, just like the old mastercraft stars and stripes. I dont remember who makes the transmission. And its not so much at higher speeds, cause I can run almost full throttle once I get going and its fine. I just cant put it under a hard load like if I was trying to pull somebody out of the water. Thats when it slips out. But my biggest concern is the drive shaft seal that runs throught the bottom of the hull. Any answers on that? Thanks

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Bubba's got it- you most likely have a leaking stuffing box. If you can reach it, it's not a big deal to tighten. But don't go TOO tight because you could score the shaft (which isn't good).
If it were me, I'd spin off the nut closest to the transmission, pull out the old packing, and replace it with new. It shoud cure the leak and make it trouble-free. Research how to properly do it for best results. One more note: when properly adjusted, regular packing SHOULD drip slightly when the shaft turns. GFO packing OTOH, is virtually dripless. I use it and it's great stuff- but expensive.

Also on a side note, when I pushed full throttle from sitting still, it would start to go then all of a sudden seem like it would fall out of gear and rev high. But if I went about half throttle it was fine. Same thing when I tried to eccelerate hard on a left turn. it would fall out of gear, but if I let off and eased back into it, it was fine. I noticed at the end of the day the transmission fluid was alittle low. Maybe a half quart, maybe more. Could that little bit low cause it to do that?

Check your prop to make sure it's not spinning on the shaft under load.
I'm no expert, but those symptoms could indicate a trans going bad. Does the oil smell burned?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I should have mentioned that. Even with the better packing, I still want to see a drip every two or three seconds.

That just leads to a damp, smelly bilge.
Trust me Bubba, that GFO is self-lubricating and really great. Not A DROP since I put it in.
I haven't touched my nuts in 4 years!:D:D:D:D