Bravo Two only slides back 1/2"

gill

Seaman Apprentice
I am a tech myself and I have this bravo two that will only slide back on the studs 1/2" I was able to disconnect the shift cable from the drive but still won't move any farther than that. I am thinking the drive shaft is stuck in the engine or coupler. Anyone have any fix or procedures for this.

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Bravo Two only slides back 1/2"

That happens.
Been a tech long? You are gonna see it again.
Could be the driveshaft splines are gunked up with crap, or rust.
Or a severely misaligned engine. (or both)
You are just going to have to work at it. And check the front motor mounts. Do they seem abnormally low or high?
I've had to use pry bars between the bell and the drive to get some to release. When they do release, it's all at once usually, so be careful.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

disconnect the trim rams, lift up the drive, and stick a 2X4 in there. Then drop the drive on the 2X and bouce it a few times. It will ususually come.

gill

Seaman Apprentice

been a tech for about three years bud, and believe it or not this is the first I/o drive that has not just fell right off for me. I will try the 2x trick, seems like it might work for me. thanks

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I had one with a rusty drive shaft.I cut wedges of wood and carefully hammered them between the drive and the gimbal housing.Popped it off...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Or re-install the rams and put a spacer between the top cap and the transom housing,
GENTLY use the up trim ,re-space, up trim, etc.

havasuboatman

Ensign

been a tech for about three years bud, and believe it or not this is the first I/o drive that has not just fell right off for me. I will try the 2x trick, seems like it might work for me. thanks

I meant no offence, the second or third drive I took off was one of those tight ones, and it was so long ago that I doubt this site even exsisted.
I ended up on my butt with the drive just missing my nuts.
That's why I don't use the bounce method. I roll the drive jack into place and very carefully pry it loose.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone have any fix or procedures for this.

The TRS drive I ran into hadn't been removed since forever.
The gimble bearing had been greased every year.
The TRS moved about 1/2 inch.
Talked to Mercruiser about this, they took the position, "I can't tell you because I'm not there.
Chained the hull to the trailer.
Fitted a nylon strap to the top of the drive between the mating surfaces below the top two studs, ran the rest of the strap to the bottom of the drive, above the bottom two studs.
I used a ratchet hoist between a tree and the nylon strap.
I attached a rope between the lifting ring on the TRS drive to the top of the hull.
Ratcheted the drive off, no damage, an I didn't have to "Be careful".
When the drive finally came off, it shot out like a cannon ball.
After removal of the drive, I noticed the yearly greasing of the gimble bearing left a ton of grease on both sides of the bearing, of course the grease hardened, stopping the shaft from moving through the bearing.

gill

Seaman Apprentice

got it, with the rope through the 1/2" gap with a come-a-long hook to my tractor. great advice from everyone. Thanks to you all.

havasuboatman

Ensign

And that's why you stand to the side =)

Now you tell me! :) Where were you 12 years ago? Standing to the side doesn't keep the drive from hitting the ground if it gets away. Plus, I always rack the drives anyway. Nearly loosing your nuts has a way of staying with you. :)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

HBM said:
Nearly loosing your nuts has a way of staying with you.

haha, so true.

Ever see a guy thats lost a finger on a table saw? That's a mistake you only make once too!!