adjusting lower shift cable - Alpha I

willxfs

Cadet
I'm trying to adjust the lower shift cable on an alpha I drive (motor is mercruiser 4.3 L V6). The instructions say to manually shift (push in on lower shift cable) the drive into gear while some one spins the prop. I've got that down - the drive shifts fine into gear. The instructions say to adjsut cable so that you measure exactly 6 inches from the center of the brass barrel to the cable end guide. Here's where I need clarification. Do I measure to the end/tip of the cable end guide or to the center of mounting hole.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: adjusting lower shift cable - Alpha I

What year?
If you actually have an Alpha I, then go up to the adults only sticky at the top of the forum, and download service manual #6. Section 2 has step by step instructions with drawings on how to adjust it.

I would be very careful with mercstuf info. It's not always accurate.

willxfs

Cadet
Re: adjusting lower shift cable - Alpha I

Thanks for the replys. The drive is an Alpha I gen II (1998). I downloaded service manual 14 and instructions say exactly 6 inches from center of mounting hole (cable end guide) to center of adjustable brass barrel. The instructions I had were a little vague in this measurement.

Hoot, I also printed out your instructions and will keep that for reference. Thanks again.