Help needed about 1996 Baja 180 Islander with 4.3 Mercruiser

sammy29926

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everybody,
After selling my 01 boat about a year ago i came across this boat which the owner needs to sell it. It is a 1996 Baja 180 islander with 4.3 mercruiser. He says (friends of my close friends) he flushed the engine every time he used. New fuel pump installed , new batteries installed, Boat has been kept inside except for the last 6-8 months which needs a TLC. Upholstery is clean and no tears . There is no hourmeter so hours is unknown on the motor. I talked to him and he is willing to let me have it for $1000 with trailer (engine running conditon..) My questions are I am located at South Carolina and it has been pretty cold here for the last 2-3 weeks. He has not winterized the motor How can i check the motor for cracks? Do i need the Cooling system pressure tested?
What do i need to check on the motor as far as that being a 12 years old motor? What should i look for ?
Is that model Mercuriser V6 dependable motors?
I just want to make sure i would not get a cracked blocked motor and sing bunch of money on this boat.
Thank you
Sammy

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help needed about 1996 Baja 180 Islander with 4.3 Mercruiser

Run it and then check all the fluids afterwards. Look for water in the oil, in the lower unit and look for water leaking out of a crack in the block or manifolds somewhere. Get a marine inspection done and take it for a test ride.
That'll take away all the questions. You may be getting a great deal but maybe not if there are major issues.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sounds a little fishy, but worth looking at.

Bondo

Staff member

Run it and then check all the fluids afterwards. Look for water in the oil, in the lower unit and look for water leaking out of a crack in the block or manifolds somewhere. Get a marine inspection done and take it for a test ride.

Ayuh,.... The 4.3ls are Fine little motors...
A Test Ride, should show any Cracked block issues... I woudn't trust just Muff testing...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

At the price being asked for the boat, spend some money on a survey.