• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

2 bbl vs 4 bbl carb

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 bbl vs 4 bbl carb

Hey Guys-

I have a 1992 4.3L with an Alpha 1 drive. It has a 2 bbl carb now and I'm going to replace the intake manifold and put in a 4 bbl. How much do you think I'll notice a difference on hole shot, top end, and fuel consumption?

In case it matters, I run a 4-blade 19p aluminum prop and at WOT hit about 4600 RPM with two adults and two kids and can just reach 45 mph.

Do you think I'll have to increase the pitch on the prop to avoid over-reving? If I do up the pitch, I imagine I'll lose some hole shot, right?

Thanks.
    Spicoli for president - Mr. Hand for V-P

Re: 2 bbl vs 4 bbl carb

Ayuh,.... about 20hp....
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

And use a marine carb and take the time or pay somebody knowlegable to tune it after the install. 'nutcase
      You meet the nicest people at the American Legion.
      "maintenance is always cheaper than neglect"
      "certain parts are USCG approved for a REASON"
      "just because it's in the factory service manual, doesn't mean it's correct"

Comment

Change in holeshot will be negligable, if any. If you set it up properly, fuel consumption should be the same...IF...you control your right arm. Midrange acceleration and top speed will both improve a little.

Comment

When you look for more power by just replacing the carb, you are almost always going to be disappointed.
          Just dumping more fuel into an engine just wastes fuel.
          Your carb is matched to your cam specs; lift, duration, and overlap. You have to get that mixture into the cylinder, and just as importantly, you have to get the exhaust out.
          Don't be suprised if the biggest difference you notice is fuel economy going down, and the unpleasant smell of an engine running rich.
          Hey, it was like that when I got here.

Comment

Your carb is matched
            I disagree,... The only difference in the Merc motors is the change in Carb, for more HP...

Comment

Originally posted by havasuboatman View Post
              Your carb is matched to your cam specs; lift, duration, and overlap.
              The example I looked up was a 1996 4.3LX.
              The part number 431-803186 camshaft, is listed as the same camshaft for both the two barrel and four barrel Mercruiser engine. You will find, as in the 350 engine, the same cam is used in either two or four barrel engines. The thought process is, the cam will handle a four barrel so what if a two barrel is installed, this way I only have to deal with one part number.
              From Mercruiser:
              Anyone who uses a service procedure and/or tool, which is not recommended by the manufacturer, first must completely satisfy himself that neither his nor the productís safety will be endangered by the service procedure selected.

Comment

C'mon Bond-o, comparing inboards to out boards is like comparing apples to door panels.
                Hey, it was like that when I got here.

Comment

How did we get on Outboards????

A properly tuned 4bbl does not use any more fuel while cruising than a comparable 2bbl. If you can smell your engine running rich, then you need to get the tool bag back out and start over with the tuning 'cause you didn't get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by havasuboatman View Post
                    C'mon Bond-o, comparing inboards to out boards is like comparing apples to door panels.
                    Ayuh,... Donno what You're talking about,.... I'm still talkin' about I/Os...

Comment

96 4.3L Rochester/Mercarb 2barrel

96 4.3LX Rochester Q-jet

Differences were intake, carb and...............

HP decals

Comment

96 = weber

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba1235
                          Edelbrock offers V6-90 Performer low-rise dual-planes PN 2111 for heads with traditional angled bolts or PN 2114 for true Vortec heads with vertical intake-manifold attaching bolts.
                          Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that an aluminum manifold? Should not be used on a raw water cooled engine.
                          1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                          Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                          Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                          "Common sense is not very common"
                          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Yeah, aluminum is fine in a fresh water application. For that matter you could do running salt water, just consider the manifold a normal replacement item every other year. real PITA if you ask me though. Of course mine requires engine removal to get the intake manifold off.

Comment

Marine aluminum intake manifolds use brass inserts lining the coolant passages.
                              From Mercruiser:
                              Anyone who uses a service procedure and/or tool, which is not recommended by the manufacturer, first must completely satisfy himself that neither his nor the productís safety will be endangered by the service procedure selected.

Comment

Working...
                              X