Convert 93 454 from mech fuel pump to electric?

joshuaand

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I have recently had serious issues with my fuel pump, and over christmas the lack of available parts in australia means I will probably have to wait 2-3 weeks for a new mechanical fuel pump from mercruiser (or even a replacement from the USA)

I am condisering bypassing that fuel pump for an electric fuel pump, the manual states the mechanical pump delivers 1 quart of fuel per minute so I guess I have to match that.

Am I crazy, is this an option or will I just have to wait?

Any help is appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Convert 93 454 from mech fuel pump to electric?

Ayuh,... Which mechanical fuelpump do you have,..??
Is it Block mounted, or 1 of the belt-driven 1s, piggy-backed onto the impeller pump,..??

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the conversion is possible.
make sure your electric pump is UL rated for marine use,make sure all the lines between the pump and the carb are either braided or compliant with USCG specs.
to wire it in the easiest way is to buy the oil pressure switch and wire it like the other mercruisers of the mid to late 90?s that had carbs and electric fuel pumps.
most carbs wont tolerate over about 7 PSI,if your pump supplies more you will need a fuel pressure regulator.
the above is for safty of yourself and others.
google(boat fire colington harbor).
this is whats left of my neighbors boat.
one that I refused to work on many years ago due to the amount of fuel system safty defects.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

You can do it but it might be more expensive. Electric Marine fuel pumps are not cheap......

I was able to buy my mechanical fuel pump from Schucks Auto Parts for about $60.

Mine is raw-water pump (Bravo) mounted.

Yours is not if you have an Alpha drive....(by your year, you have an Alpha unless someone installed a Bravo on the boat.

Both the local Autozone and Schucks (Oreilly) auto parts were able to get the Airtex/Master marine pump I had on my engine. I was able to look it up in both catalogs. Mine was a Carter 60932. It crossed to Airtex and Master 60932.

Airtex is the (US) OEM for just about ALL fuel pumps. They certainly are for Mercruiser. (At least that's what they told me when I called them!)

So, Go to http://www.airtexproducts.com/ and put the part number in their parts search and you'll find it.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/airtex/

That's how I found mine.

That part number may also be yours.

Their catalog indicates #60932 fits
Mercruiser Marine-all models 454 (7.4L), 502 (8.2L) (92-93)

DO NOT USE A MECHANICAL OR ELECTRIC AUTOMOTIVE TYPE PUMP.

Cheers,

Rick

joshuaand

Cadet

thanks for the info, the fuel pump is off the belt driven seawater pump, and it is a bravo leg.

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to an electric fuel pump over the mechanical pump?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I am not sure there's a large advantage of one over the other.

Both have their advantages. Electric pumps usually required for any fuel injected engine.

They're probably not really necessary on a carbed, stock engine.

I think Mercruiser and others have kits for replacing a mechanical with an electric pump. It's fairly expensive and IMHO not really necessary.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to an electric fuel pump over the mechanical pump?

There is one very good advantage. If the pump fails and allows gas into the reservoir on the raw water pump, the oil gets diluted with gas and takes out the bearings in the water pump, especially the one the fuel pump arm rides on. Those pumps are very expensive.
If you do go with electric, put new hi performance gear lube in the raw water pump with a block off plate over the hole where the fuel pump was.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There is one very good advantage. If the pump fails and allows gas into the reservoir on the raw water pump, the oil gets diluted with gas and takes out the bearings in the water pump, especially the one the fuel pump arm rides on. Those pumps are very expensive.
If you do go with electric, put new hi performance gear lube in the raw water pump with a block off plate over the hole where the fuel pump was.

Yes. That IS a great reason to switch. When I replaced my fuel pump, the raw pump oil reservoir was diluted with a very small amount of gas (I could tell by the odor) but was still pretty oily. I cleaned it out and replaced the oil. (with Merc HP btw!)

It works fine now.

It's not possible to easily replace the bearings and seals in the OEM raw water pump is it?

They of course want you to replace the whole thing for a fairly expensive price.

If mine does fail, I will probably go to an electric pump and a raw pump like the one below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear?hash=item4837a78f5f

Regards,

Rick