How much for bellow replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 07 Monterey 250CR with the Volvo 5.7L GI-f motor, Penta dual prop out drive. I have about 170 hours on the clock with no issues. My boat is stored on a trailer.

I am going to have the out drive taken off the boat in April and have the bellows replaced and everything a quick look over just to keep problems to a minimum. I have heard of many people with sudden problems with the poor quality of the rubber used by Penta. How much should I expect to pay for this to be done properly? My boat's shop rate is $90.00/hr. What questions should I ask? Is there any other parts that Volvo Penta is known to use the lowest possible bidder for? Any insight would be great. Thank you.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How much for bellow replacement?

Which DuoProp outdrive? DPS-A, or DPX

I have heard of many people with sudden problems with the poor quality of the rubber used by Penta.

Is there any other parts that Volvo Penta is known to use the lowest possible bidder for?

Never heard of any of that before about the OEM rubber parts. I've had problem with aftermarket stuff, but never with OEM Volvo bellows.
What is your source for this information? Or is just some "I heard" or "They said" topic on some forum you read.

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 07 Monterey 250CR with the Volvo 5.7L GI-f motor, Penta dual prop out drive. I have about 170 hours on the clock with no issues. My boat is stored on a trailer.

I have heard of many people with sudden problems with the poor quality of the rubber used by Penta. How much should I expect to pay for this to be done properly? My boat's shop rate is $90.00/hr. What questions should I ask? Is there any other parts that Volvo Penta is known to use the lowest possible bidder for? Any insight would be great. Thank you.

I don't think you have to worry about the VP bellows rubber quality... Bellows seem to be the weak link in the stenrdrive system in general...They are high maintenance, and need attention...

there is a third-round recall on the Ocean series bellows, which causes the expected problems (U-joint damage), which I think is as painful for the company as it is for the owners....I dont think it affects other drives...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I would sure want the OEM Volvo parts before any of the aftermarket brands.
Maybe a few bucks more but worth it.
90 bucks an hour is about normal at most shops in my area.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the DPX out drive. I would use OEM bellows for replacements. I wouldnt even consider useing aftermarket. My info came from the owner of a Volvo dealership. I saw a memo he has from Volvo about this problem. It mentioned all DP out dives between 06-08 are suspect to premiture bellow wair. It did not mention one model or another. It also stated that after some date, (I dont recal the date but it was a date about 2 months before I read this memo) that this issue would not be covered under warrentee.

I had also read about bellow problems in this forum where people were compairing Bravo outdives with Penta.

I have no problem with the $90.00 an hour. I dont know if it is a 5 hour job or a 15 hour job. Is there any maintanance issues I should address? I have always been an ounce of prevention/ pound of cure kind of guy. Thanks again every one. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I saw a memo he has from Volvo about this problem. It mentioned all DP out dives between 06-08 are suspect to premiture bellow wair. It did not mention one model or another. It also stated that after some date, (I dont recal the date but it was a date about 2 months before I read this memo) that this issue would not be covered under warrentee.

There ya go, you didn't get all the story, and now your post is there for everyone to see that says their was a problem with the rubber compound. But, it wasn't.
There was a bellows campaign from 2006 when it started, (and it did finally end, all claims had to be in by Nov 2009). Your problem is, that you missed the details. It was ONLY for the XDP drives between serial numbers 4251000718 ? 4251006317 not all drives. The problem was not the rubber compound, it was the design allowed the ujoint to rub the bellows when turning, thus causing it to wear through. There were 3 service bulletins on the problem. 44-1-59, 73, and 74.
Now, you have the real story.

If you already have the outdrive off, the job will take an hour or less to do on a DPS drive.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don, Thanks for the responce. I didnt intend to sound any alarm or to mislead anyone. I always thought that the forum was to clearify information and feed back on information we receive. I will certanly be much more restrained in asking questions so not to possibly mislead someone who does not read the entire thread.
I appreciate the info with the numbers. Good clearification of the info that I was told and shown by a dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.