Oh, Crap! Now What?

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oh, Crap! Now What?

Ok, ... Now that my parts came today, ... I think I'm HOSED!!!!! :(

The old transom plate and the old gimbal housing look different.

In this post, ... I have a couple of pictures showing my old stuff. The next post will show the new stuff.

The old gimbal housing has 3 bolts holding the exhaust pipe and the new one has 5.

A couple of large bumps on the gimbal ring that The old one did not.

A large gap between the gimbal housing and the gimbal ring that the old one does not.

I don't think the bell housing does not look the same.

Please excuse the lame photos, I will try to get better ones of the old parts tonight if you need them.

Attachments

• old gimbal 1.JPG
    old gimbal 1.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 0
  • old gimbal 2.JPG
    old gimbal 2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
  • old transomplate.jpg
    old transomplate.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 0

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New stuff ...

Attachments

• new gimble.jpg
    new gimble.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • ng1.jpg
    ng1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ng2.jpg
    ng2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • ng3.jpg
    ng3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • new transom plate.jpg
    new transom plate.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

The transom bolt pattern should be the same correct? If so (im no expert but did a few swaps) you had a MR drive (I believe). You got an Alpha1 replacement. The outdrive will bolt right up but you will need a new y pipe which the guy you got this from should have. I had the same problem doing a swap in a Cruisers a few years ago.

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The transom bolt pattern should be the same correct? If so (im no expert but did a few swaps) you had a MR drive (I believe). You got an Alpha1 replacement. The outdrive will bolt right up but you will need a new y pipe which the guy you got this from should have. I had the same problem doing a swap in a Cruisers a few years ago.

Thanks Flukinicehole :)

So it will work .... ?

Then the only thing I need is either a new exhaust pipe with the 5 hole bolt pattern or a block off plate and run my exhaust through the transom, ... am I correct?

Does anyone have the mercruiser part # for the exhaust pipe with the 5 hole bolt pattern? Will it matter if it's for an inline 4cyl 140hp or a V8?

Again, MANY, MANY Thanks!!!!!!

Bill

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If memory serves me right, the 4cyl has on pipe leading to the transom assembly, and the 8cyl and 6cyl has two pipes. I only have a V8 and i have two pipes that lead down to the transom assembly. I could be wrong it has happened before, but I think I am right.

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well after a short wait and some shipping back and forth from the Los Angeles area to Erie Michigan, ... I think I finally have what I "believe" will work. The only thing is the Gimbal housing is slightly different in the same exhaust pipe area as the one replacement I originally sent back and was wrong, yet slightly different enough to have me thinking, ... that I might be able to use it. :)

Can one of the gimbal housing masters on this great site, ... give me an A-O.K. or something to let me know that .. I have finally had my official break for the year. :redface:

In the left picture, ... my old housing has just the three bolts and the surface is a oval.

In the right picture, the new housing has two holes below the exhaust opening. My old one does not have these, BUT, ... it looks as if this new one had never had those bottom two holes used and the dirt on the surface clearly shows an outline of only my three mounting hole pipe was used.

Am I correct in thinking this is a plug and play situation?

Many Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• OldG.jpg
    OldG.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NewG.jpg
    NewG.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bump

Hmmmm,
Does anyone have an answer to my question?

Thanks
Bill

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm, Either I ticked off some people, or nobody knows the answer to my question, ... I guess I should be apologizing to someone, but who? :redface:

Bill

Bondo

Staff member

or nobody knows the answer to my question, ...

Ayuh,... I don't....

Which down-pipe are you using,..??

I believe the 2 lower holes in the 2nd picture are Open to the water/ exhaust cavity...
They'll have to be Covered...

Squid Billy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bond-o,

Thanks for your input. I was going to use the original pipe that will fit only the oval opening using the three mounting holes. If I have to plug the other two holes, I ether need to weld plates on them, fill them with some sort of epoxy that is designed for metal or get a pipe that will fit the whole thing, cut off the mounting area and weld it onto my old pipe. I think that is the easiest, safest and fastest option.

Is there another way?

Bill