• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Oh, Crap! Now What?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, Crap! Now What?

I just removed the engine, outdrive and the transom plate and it looks bad, ... very bad. The corrosion has really attacked the parts to the point the screws with the square washers were so degraded they were about half the original diameter. That is were they broke off.

What now?

Inner Transom Plate
    Thanks
    Bill

1972 Silverline 17 T I/O Mercruiser Restoration
    sigpic

Re: Oh, Crap! Now What?

WOW! That is bad. Head over to ebay for a used transom plate. They are cheap ($30). Maybe a ground wire was not connected, as that looks seriously bad. I had the same bolt issue, where I had to break one to get it off.

Sadly, replacement anode bolts cost more than a used transom plate.

1990 Bayliner Capri 2050 BR - (My first runabout; Never seen her in water) ***Restore on hold***
    Restoration status: Painting hull Watch my progress
    Progress so far: Teardown - Transom - Stringers - Deck - Paint - Re-power - Interior Panels - Seating - Water Trial - Upholstery

The 10 steps of restoration denial - Which step are you?

Comment

Gimbal Housing

Two broken off bolts and a hole.
      Thanks
      Bill

sigpic

Comment

Head over to ebay for a used transom plate.
        Ayuh,... Make that a Complete transom assembley...
        Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by Squid Billy View Post
          I just removed the engine, outdrive and the transom plate and it looks bad, ... very bad. ........

What now?

I agree with Bond-o. Time for a new (used) transom assembly. If you want some good news, the condition of yours makes the decision easy. At least you don't need to agonize over whether to try and fix what you have now or not. Simple - buy another assembly. (And you can usually find them for not much money on the various auction / classified ad sites).

Comment

Now show us what the transom of the boat looks like now that you have the drive off. Can't wait to see those pics.

Comment

Okeey - Dokee

Transom pictures coming up. The corrosion was so bad it caved in the transom almost an inch on the inside and you can also see the corrosion INSIDE the wood!
              Thanks
              Bill

sigpic

Comment

And More;
                Thanks
                Bill

sigpic

Comment

Sorry about your problem, but good to see you still have a sense of humor...nice plate.
                  1984 Imperial VC230
                  Merc. 470 S.N. 6701134
                  Alpha One S.N. OA706258

1983 Lund Mr. Pike 16',
                  Johnson 75 HP Sea Horse

Comment

Looks like you might be needing to rebuild that transom while you're at it
                    Simply reading Chapman Piloting does not make you an expert at all things boating, but it'll get you started.

Wear a life jacket around the water; at the very least it'll make your corpse easier to find.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperNova View Post
                      Looks like you might be needing to rebuild that transom while you're at it
                      Transom, Stringers and Deck ... Oh My! .... reconstruction thread ...
                      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362607
                      Thanks
                      Bill

sigpic

Comment

Wow, you have some work to do. I look at those pictures and can't help think what would happen if you were cruising along in that boat and hit something with the drive. If it would of just all come apart.

Comment

Problem solved, ... I buried my head in the sand!

Naw, just kidding.

I just got off the phone from a place called John Fishers Marina from Irie Michigan. They will be shipping out the whole transom assembly (both sides of the transom) tomorrow for a screaming deal. Should be here in So. Cal. mid next week!

ALSO, ... I should be able to sell off the parts that I don't need (gimbal ring and bell housing) on the various sites and make "ALL" my money back.

Whoo-Hoo!

UPDATE ... 12-03-09 ... Problem Still not solved!
                          Please look at post #21 and #22
                          Thanks
                          Bill

sigpic

Comment

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioriver View Post
                              Wow, you have some work to do. I look at those pictures and can't help think what would happen if you were cruising along in that boat and hit something with the drive. If it would of just all come apart.
                              Hehe

Did you look at my restoration thread pictures, I am completely surprised that the whole freaking thing didn't come apart just towing it around the block!
                              Thanks
                              Bill

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X