Dry joint vs. normal exhaust

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello there!

I have a question: can dry joint exhaust be replaced by a standard one? Is there any modification needed?

The dry joint exhaust manifolds/risers are OEM only, expensive as hell (as far as I know) ;)

Thanx

Alex

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Dry joint vs. normal exhaust

Don't see why not but why? The dry-joint is vastly superior, and while kinda $$, still cheaper than replacing an engine damaged by leaking riser gaskets. 'nutcase

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I still think that replacing ordinary manifolds will prevent water damage to the engine, and considering that the dry joint manifolds are more than twice the price, it's reasonable to install ordinary ones... Especially nowadays ;) If it's possible, that is...

Thanx

Alex

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Without knowing just what motor We're talking about, It's kinda tough to say...
I would think there might be some Plumbing that'll need changing, both water,+ maybe exhaust alignments,...
Donno....
I would dare speculate that I'm pretty sure that I could adapt a Dry joint system onto what was Not before...(doin' it)
That said,... I'm also sure I could do a Workaround goin' the other way as well...

Your open ended questions, Without deeper Info makes getting past generalities Impossible....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

[QUOTE.

Your open ended questions, Without deeper Info makes getting past generalities Impossible....[/QUOTE]

Very impressive statement !!

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hehe bondo... you made me laugh ;) Sorry 'bout my english, I'll try my best ;)

It's a 2005 5.0 Mercruiser with 220hp (think it's carbed) - S/N:0W034799

Alex

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why would you be wanting to replace 4 year old dry joint manifolds and risers to begin with? The reason the old style failed so oftes was due to failure of the thin metal edge between the water and exhaust sections at the gasket surface between the riser and manifold. The dry joint doesn't have that problem.

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You got a point, but it won't be long and everyone that has a boat with dry joint exhaust will have to replace them ;) so this issue will come up eventually ;)

It's not time to replace the manifolds on the boat i was asking for yet, but the customer wants to order the manifolds, so I came up with the idea....

Thanx

Alex

Bondo

Staff member

You got a point, but it won't be long and everyone that has a boat with dry joint exhaust will have to replace them so this issue will come up eventually

Ayuh,.... If the dry joint manifolds last 3 times Longer, yet cost Twice as much,....
Are wet joint manifolds actually Cheaper,..??

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm... do you really think it'll last 3 times longer (in saltwater) than a wet joint one? If yes, then it's not an issue anymore...

I guess it's too soon to ask the experienced users if it really lasts that long...

Thanx for your opinnions though!

Alex

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

For what it is worth - I bought a crate engine from Mercruiser back in 2003 for my boat. I discovered here on the forum that I had the dry joint exhaust system. I boat exclusively in salt water here in SW Florida with a raw water cooled engine. (And it seems we have even saltier and more corrosive water than most for some reason! :eek: ). I sold the boat this summer but never had any issues at all with the manifold or riser in the six years of use. From looking at the design - I would never go backwards - even with the extra cost involved.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

If I was going to the expense and trouble of replacing my engine with a "crate" engine for use in salt. I would also get it with closed cooling.

Dry-joint exhaust and closed cooling would probably outlast you.