Mercruiser winterize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyomingman

Seaman Apprentice
OK, I've completed most of the winterization process. I have a 2002 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI with single point drain. I have drained the water, poked wire around the drain tube, poured antifreeze through the termostat housing until it is full and coming up out of the housing, drained the lower unit oil(although i did not refill and will do it in the spring), put stabil in the gas, changed the oil and filter and placed the lower unit in the full down position.

Now my question, I was attempting to take off the hoses that run into the thermostat housing to the exaust manifold but can't get the rubber hose off. Is there a trick to do this? I hope the water has already drained from the exaust manifold but do you think I still need to take off the hose at the thermostat housing and pour it down through the exaust manifold?

This was my first time doing all this so I hope I covered it all!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser winterize

Now my question, I was attempting to take off the hoses that run into the thermostat housing to the exaust manifold but can't get the rubber hose off. Is there a trick to do this?

Ayuh,... Grab the hose, at/ on the nipple, with a pair of channel-lock pliers,+ give it a slight Twist....
Once there's some movement, it'll come Right off...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Yep,or the screwdriver and twist trick..
I would not leave the lower unit empty over the winter...just another place for condensation and rust to develop...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You may have to tap a screwdriver under the hose ,top, bottom and then sides to get it loose.Empty outdrive is a bad idea.The "full down" position for the drive I also disagree with.Down yes,full down no.The lower part of the bellows will be too compressed and the upper part will be pulled too tightly to leave all winter.Charlie

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Greatest simple tool ever invented.

Automotive hose removal tool. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc4521.html

Harbor Freight has one too. That's were I got mine. Just slip the tip under the hose end and walk it around to loosen the hose. Then using the tool, pull the hose off.

Works better than a screwdriver because you are pulling the hose, not just prying at the end.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

how do i winterize my 350mag mdi 300

LOL

Several steps:

1. Start your own thread.

2. Read some of the stickies.

3. Buy a manual.

That should get you started. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.