Mercruiser 260 - how to get the water out (winterize engine)

sid007

Cadet
I've been doing a lot of reading and have my whole checklist of everything I need to do to winterize and am set except for making sure the water is out of the engine block

I have the engine manual and thats not too clear too.

My boat is on a lift, out of the water. I only found two drain plugs on the bottom of the engine and removed them both but barely any water came out.

Is the engine supposed to be full of water where it comes out like a faucet?

What else should I be doing?

First Boat and first winter

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser 260 - how to get the water out (winterize engine)

when you remove the plugs you must probe them with wire, drill bit, small screwdriver, etc. to make sure they do in fact drain.Ususlly there is about 2 gal. of water in a block. The manifolds have drains also but some just remove the hoses on the bottom of the manifold to drain them.
AGAIN, any plugs removed should be probed to insure they drain.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should run and wiggle, a small wire up each of the drain holes to make sure that sediment is not plugging off the draining. I use a 6" - 8" piece of 12 or 14 ga electrical wire for this job. It goes around corners pretty well if you have a tee (with a knock sensor) in the path.

You should also make sure you drain the exaust manifolds, risers and the thermostat housing by pulling plugs and draining hoses. I personally like to use a wet vac to suck any water from the block and exhaust sytem. Finally drain the raw water pump system by removal of hoses and sucking and if necessary drain the water heater circuit.

I am also sorry the season has to end when the weather is so nice.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

You don't mention what year your engine is... My engine has 6 plugs: 1 on each side of the block, 1 on the bottom of each exhaust manifold, 1 on the 'cool fuel' line going to the fuel pump, and 1 on the elbow going to the engine water pump.

sid007

Cadet

Thanks a lot everyone .. I'm going to check again and did notice there was dirt / mud in the two plugs I removed.

I didn't realize there was supposed to be that much water in there.

Engine is a Mercruiser 260 350 - 5.7 L V8

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

On average, the 5.7 holds about 2 gal.