Removing Flywheel MerCruiser 470

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got a Mercruiser 470 that I'm currently working on rebuilding. I was wondering how I go about getting the flywheel off the motor so I can get it up on the motor stand. I removed the bolts, but don't know if a pully has to be used or not to remove it. Thank you

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Removing Flywheel MerCruiser 470

I know the 470 has some quirky, unique characteristics... but I would guess it is just stuck. Most flywheels need to be tapped with a big rubber mallet or something similar to get them loose after removing the bolts.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know the 470 has some quirky, unique characteristics... but I would guess it is just stuck. Most flywheels need to be tapped with a big rubber mallet or something similar to get them loose after removing the bolts.

I'm going to have to spray some WD-40 on it most more than likely.

Yeah, it's just bolted on. Here's a link to the factory manual (Section/page 6B-32);

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/pv/318.450722.23072009.53414.6a64fi/cover.pdf

Thank you for this link. It is very useful. I won't be able to get back to the motor till tomorrow so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Your welcome. The manuals are posted by members, but glad to direct you to them.

At the top of the posting page, go to the "Adults Only" sticky. There you will find almost all of the manuals...engines, drives etc, and other very useful info.

Good luck with your project.

cr2k

Captain

Put one or 2 bolts back in loose so when you get it to break loose it won't fall on your foot.