What size bolts hold bearing and rear cover on SX drive

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need to remove the bearing cover on my SX as the previous owner overtightned it and stripped the threads where the dipstick goes in

If i looked at this right i need to remove three bolts and the rear cover with the SX label will come off and then i will have access to all 4 bolts holding the bearing cover on, is this correct?? If so what size socket removes all of these?

Also I have a top notch machinist at my factory who can put a helicoil in no problem, since i am reusing the same cap do i need to worry about shimming it or can i just make sure the original shimming is on there? What size helicoil will need to be installed

This looks like a fairly common issue, I'd like to fix it for free myself but just want to make sure i have the tools and the know how to do it

Thanks,
Robert

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What size bolts hold bearing and rear cover on SX drive

Need to remove the bearing cover on my SX as the previous owner overtightned it and stripped the threads where the dipstick goes in

If i looked at this right i need to remove three bolts and the rear cover with the SX label will come off and then i will have access to all 4 bolts holding the bearing cover on, is this correct?? If so what size socket removes all of these?

Also I have a top notch machinist at my factory who can put a helicoil in no problem, since i am reusing the same cap do i need to worry about shimming it or can i just make sure the original shimming is on there? What size helicoil will need to be installed

This looks like a fairly common issue, I'd like to fix it for free myself but just want to make sure i have the tools and the know how to do it

Thanks,
Robert

Not sure of the size bolts, I reused the originals when this happened to me. In my case I replaced the cover so I had to re-shim. Since you are reusing the old cover I suspect you'll be fine. Just don't lose those shims.

Also I am sure this is overstating the obvious, but make sure the helocoil doesn't impede proper oring seal of the dipstick