Winterizing: Prestone vs RV antifreeze

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've read various posts about using RV antifreeze to winterize the engine but I also read it doesn't contain corrosion inhibitors. Wouldn't it be better to use automotive antifreeze then drain and flush in the spring?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing: Prestone vs RV antifreeze

If your boat is stored near a body of water, non-toxic is the legal one to use.
Anywhere else regular is fine.,but don`t just flush it out in the spring, drain it and save it for next winter.Dosent go bad.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

i've litterally winterized 1000's of engines with RV antifreeze. Works fine. Plus you can bring it to the lake and not worry about killing fishies or start it in your driveway and not worry about killing the neighbors dog.

WizeOne

Commander

I use prestone, then drain it back into a clean container for use the next year. And as we never get below the high teens I only use a 25% mixture.

proxyx

Banned

cheapest is best, LOL. Used automotive but this year tempted to switch to RV/plumbing. This is a throw away stuff anyway. What good is Prestone if half the year your boat eats lake water. Is Prestone going to restore the engine?

Bondo

Staff member

cheapest is best,

Ayuh,... I Agree,.. That's why I store all mine Dry..... Air don't Freeze...

Maclin

Admiral

For my raw water cooled stuff I use the gas/vapor mix described by Bond-o. It flows into the block and manifolds easily and automatically (in fact you would have to really work at keeping it out). It has a pretty specific formula, but even so it is cheap (free) and readily available everywhere.

The trick in winterizing a raw water cooled engine and manifolds is to drain ALL water first, poking wire thu the drain holes, a lot of water should come out. And then realize it will not corrode much just sitting there with air in it, so skip the antifreeze and bypass any heartburn over the environment (pun intended). As proxy mentioned, nothing will actually help restore the block.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a Volvo 5.0L V8 with the SX leg and when I am done with mine for the summer I just drain it to prevent freeze damage. I installed 4 ball valves on my block and manifolds so now it is very simple to drain the block, just turn the 4 handles a 1/4 turn and it drains. I also pull the hoses off the raw water pump to let that drain but that is it. Battery comes inside and covers go on it for the winter. In the spring I do a full tune up and service. Course I have Fuel Injection so I just add some stabil on my last trip out.

Maclin

Admiral

Just watch the build up behind those valves. Nothing works as good as removing a plug at the block or manifold and rodding it out. I'm just sayin'...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

it amazing how much more water comes out when you put the shop vac to the drain hole.
rob

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always drain mine first, but I run a bit of RV antifreeze through just to take care of any small amounts of water laying in places I can't completely drain. For me, its cheap peace of mind. We used the same process when I worked at the marina, and I never replaced an engine we winterized. I did replace several that people though they did properly, but never one that was totally drained dry and left that way, and never one that was drained and filled with RV antifreeze.

I don't use the green stuff though. Our boat is winter stored very near the water. So close in fact, a large part of the yard floods at a high tide, and most of it floods at a moon high tide.

Bondo

Staff member

I installed 4 ball valves on my block and manifolds so now it is very simple to drain the block, just turn the 4 handles a 1/4 turn and it drains.

Ayuh,.... As noted by Maclin,.... That could lead to a very Nasty Surprise some Spring,....
You've Gotta be able to rod/ dig the Crap,+ Crud out of the block....
The drains are at the Bottom of the water cavities,+ That's where the Crap settles......

WizeOne

Commander

Ayuh,.... As noted by Maclin,.... That could lead to a very Nasty Surprise some Spring,....
You've Gotta be able to rod/ dig the Crap,+ Crud out of the block....
The drains are at the Bottom of the water cavities,+ That's where the Crap settles......

.... and blocks the water's exit! Anyone else 'been there, done that'?
Do I hear an AMEN!

Bifflefan

Commander

So basicly what all of you are saying is that there is more than one way to skin a cat....:D

But then it begs the question...Who wants to skin a cat anyway???:confused:

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

.... and blocks the water's exit! Anyone else 'been there, done that'?
Do I hear an AMEN!

yeah, the block drains on mine have never done squat for me. I always just pull the whole petcock out of the engine block and dig it out. OPening the drain valve just gets me a few drips most of the time.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know it's a personal thing, but I prefer to fill it with antifreeze. I pull the plugs and dig everything out too, but I'm always afraid of that little bit of water hiding somewhere. When it's zero outside and I'm stoking the wood stove I know my boat is safe.

proxyx

Banned

I know it's a personal thing, but I prefer to fill it with antifreeze. I pull the plugs and dig everything out too, but I'm always afraid of that little bit of water hiding somewhere. When it's zero outside and I'm stoking the wood stove I know my boat is safe.

My feeling too. Better safe then sorry.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i drain then i remove thermostat and fill motor with rv , i will be removing outdrive this year,plugging water port with a expandable rubber plug and draining outdrive a little to check for water. The vac sounds like a good idea, i could put it on the exhaust and engine.

Maclin

Admiral

This is my version of "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" method:

I remove the thermostat housing and drain the block rodding out the holes. Then I pour 2 or 3 gallons of water into the block until almost no more junk comes out and the water is clear. I do the same thing with each exhaust manifold by removing the hose at the thermo housing and funneling water thru them.

Then on mine I remove the impeller (and store in the house in a baggie), this drains the power steering cooler and other lines (Volvo engine mounted raw water pump). I leave all the plugs out and the raw water pump open then tow it around a bit to shake water loose. Then I park and jack the trailer up using blocks as far as I can and move it around as much as I can to get water moving around. I then lower the jack as far as it can go down. A little bit more comes out of the drain holes during each step. I try to leave the engine housing off and boat uncovered for a day or so to dry out before putting it away for the season.

I put in a new thermostat during spring commissioning, and a new impeller every other time, as I button it all back up.

disclaimer: Some engine designs may have sneaky bad hiding places in the water jackets, but for the boating world's SmallBlockChevy this method will avoid a freeze related cracked casting in the worst of winters.