Manual says oil seal in water pump base?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class
'85 Alpha 1
I'm installing a new water pump in the lower. The manual says install 2 small oil seals in the pump base, there is no place to install these seals in the base? There weren't any in the old base either?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Manual says oil seal in water pump base?

Post a picture of the base.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Post a picture of the base.

I'll try.
The base looks just like the base on page 3D-29 in manual #6 EXCEPT there is no hole on the side of the base as seen in the pic.

My old base didn't have that hole either. It looks like that base that was on there has been there for quite a while!

Don S

This is page 3D-29 no water pump base there.

attachment.php

Go to page 3B-8 of the manual. The base is item #24 in the drawing.

You have to remove the base from the drive to get at the seals

Attachments

• 3D-29-.JPG
    3D-29-.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 0

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is page 3D-29 no water pump base there.

Go to page 3B-8 of the manual. The base is item #24 in the drawing.

You have to remove the base from the drive to get at the seals

Maybe I have an older manual, but I'm looking through an actual hard copy of Mercruiser Service Maual #6 Stern Drive Units. and the pic is on 3D-29

Don S

Go to this link and open the manual
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6B3R3.PDF

Go to page 3B-8.
Item 24 is the base, items 25 and 26 are the 2 seals that go inside the housing. #23 is an oring that goes around the base.
3B-21 shows how they go in.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll look. I did check 3B-8 that is the base I have

You know what, I think those seals all already preesed into the base. there are some seals in there. I think reading the manual with it saying I needed to install them threw me off!

erikgreen

Captain

Yes, it appears some of the kits you can get for the water pump base include the back to back seals already installed. My kit, from Mallory, had them in there already.

Erik

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it appears some of the kits you can get for the water pump base include the back to back seals already installed. My kit, from Mallory, had them in there already.

Erik

Ok, when I'm installing the new bsae with the O-ring on it, it doesn't want to seat itself (very tight fit) The only way to get it to seat is by tightening down all the nuts so it sits flush. I'm worried that with all that pressure that the housing will be tightened down too much. It will end up being tightened more that the reccommended torque values.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

I just did mine. Your supposed to fill the void between the two oil seals with grease (101) and the base should snap into place when you slide it down into the drive shaft housing. The large oil seal on the bottom (mine is blue) with the o-ring on the O.D. literally snaps in when correct. Are you sure you have the right base & gasket? And, unless you look at it where the mounting studs & nuts are it could look like it's not seated. It's a little deceptive because of how the base overhangs the housing. Did you grease up the large o-ring on the O.D. of the lower oil seal? Maybe the o-ring is hanging up and not allowing the base to snap in.

Hope this helps.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did mine. Your supposed to fill the void between the two oil seals with grease (101) and the base should snap into place when you slide it down into the drive shaft housing. The large oil seal on the bottom (mine is blue) with the o-ring on the O.D. literally snaps in when correct. Are you sure you have the right base & gasket? And, unless you look at it where the mounting studs & nuts are it could look like it's not seated. It's a little deceptive because of how the base overhangs the housing. Did you grease up the large o-ring on the O.D. of the lower oil seal? Maybe the o-ring is hanging up and not allowing the base to snap in.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, it's the right pump. It's just the new O-ring, its very tight trying to push it down into place. When I push I can get one side to go but then the other pops up.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, it's the right pump. It's just the new O-ring, its very tight trying to push it down into place. When I push I can get one side to go but then the other pops up.

Got it! I used the thinner O-ring! Snapped right in!

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Glad it worked out. Did you compare the o-ring you ended up using to the one you removed?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad it worked out. Did you compare the o-ring you ended up using to the one you removed?

Yeah, after trying the other one!!!! Got it mounted, gonna put the oil in tomorrow and test it!

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

did mine yesterday. my pump base wouldn't snap in, kept rocking one way or the other. pulled it off and the new gasket was in two pieces--it was jamming in there because i had a brain fart and placed the gasket into the housing before lowering the base onto it, instead of fitting the gasket onto the housing and lowering them together. the kit provided two of that exact gasket, so i'm probably not the only dummy who's done that. rtfm, "read the manual".

cr2k

Captain

You should paint the O-Ring with gasket sealing compound or permatex #2 to both seal it and lube it to go in with out screwing up the o-ring.