how do i adjust my shift linkage? alpha one?

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, i had removed the outdrive, separated the upper and lower. i have no reverse. both directions on the shifter give me forward.

according to a mechanic he says shifter linkage because...depressing the neutral lock bar still has moving shifter difficult forward, reeaalllly hard reverse. pushing the throttle button shifts easy as pie, but both will make the prop spin clockwise.(i don't think shes supposed to spin the prop on throttle...i'm a newbie, but ithink i'm right on this one). on muffs in neutral, the prop moves when the engine is running. how fast? fast enough that i know something is wrong. when i squeeze the neutral lock bar, it feels like the bar is binding. any ideas?

the shift shaft is in the fork as it should be. and only moves to the port side.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: how do i adjust my shift linkage? alpha one?

Ayuh,... I donno what you Did,... But I'm sure it needs More than just a cable Adjustment...
The Only time there's a Need for Adjusting the cable, is when a New 1 is installed....
I suggest you Pull the drive,+ Look for where you Screwed Up...

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

bondo, is it possible that the shift shaft is stuck in the forward position?the intermediate shaft is placed correctly, is it possible that the problem is in the lower? should i attempt to turn the lower shift shaft by hand?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did it work fine before you removed the outdrive?

If yes, then you did not get something important aligned during re-assembly.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

can't honestly say. boat needed a water pump when i got it. if i take off the lower, what do i do next?( i'm going to tackle this one section at a time.) should i turn the lower shift shaft? if so, to the right (assuming the unit is facing forward )or left? in neutral? which way?

Bondo

Staff member

( i'm going to tackle this one section at a time.)

Ayuh,... Pull the Whole Drive....
There's more Stuff to Screw up at that junction....

If necessary, you can pop the lower off after....

The Factory manuals are up in the Adults Only section,... Go have a Look....

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

crazy thought. if the unit wasn't completelyy in "forward" when i pulled the lower unit for the water pump, what would happen. would it jam the shift shaft?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... If you were pulling only the Lower,... Nope....It's Splined at that point...

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

bond-o;

humor me(...or shoot me. either way:D). if i have shifter in forward, prop will turn clockwise, and stop dead counterclockwise, and the opposite would hold true for reverse, correct?

if so, it was two problems, biggest was stupid easy.

come to think of ot, the other was too.

Bondo

Staff member

if i have shifter in forward, prop will turn clockwise, and stop dead counterclockwise, and the opposite would hold true for reverse, correct?

Ayuh,.... Click, Click, Click 1 way,+ No turn the other,.... That's correct....
You can just Shift it to remove, or reinstall your Prop that way....

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

in that case.....yaay me! when i put the lower back on, it moved about one millimeter . it was off by one tooth. twice, i took it off and re-installed it. ah hah! it works now!

the control issue involves your slogan. any grease is better than no grease. the shifter was bone dry. the prev owner never dreamed of that. a can of wurth silicone lube, and a half a pound of grease. i'll probably replace the shifter in the off season. the lock out linkage is buggered pretty bad, so rather than screw with a lost cause, i'll look into a new one. pretty worn out commander.

thanks to all for the help. getting closer to winterizing time. wanna get my last hurahs in.

i'm afraid to admit how i got the steering cable to work. i'm replacing it, but in the meantime....well, i got creative.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, i'll bite. Humor us, what's creative?

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

grab a bucket, meesh. you may feel the urge.

took a hackswa, cut the housing, cranked wheel to starboard, sprayed a crudload of lubricant in, packed grease in opening in housing. cranked wheel to full port, repeat. spray crudload of lube into end of rack unit. repeat, repeat.....like a knife through warm butter. replacing at end of season.

glasstron_19

Recruit

ok, i had removed the outdrive, separated the upper and lower. i have no reverse. both directions on the shifter give me forward.

according to a mechanic he says shifter linkage because...depressing the neutral lock bar still has moving shifter difficult forward, reeaalllly hard reverse. pushing the throttle button shifts easy as pie, but both will make the prop spin clockwise.(i don't think shes supposed to spin the prop on throttle...i'm a newbie, but ithink i'm right on this one). on muffs in neutral, the prop moves when the engine is running. how fast? fast enough that i know something is wrong. when i squeeze the neutral lock bar, it feels like the bar is binding. any ideas?

the shift shaft is in the fork as it should be. and only moves to the port side.

Ok I have just fixed the same problem .Had the exact same thing happen to Me.What I did was get a longer bolt to go all the way the tail of the back fin fin to hold in place.I then took a look at the backside of the shift link where the copper or bronze pipe goes over the spline and placed it over My spline shift over the lower unit close to to my transom side ,I clicked it around clockwise till i found forward with my gear shift in forward.rolled back till it stopped.went to neutral found neutral then reverse.There was a lil slack till I tightened up all blots slowly torquing it up.When it was good and tight all gears worked perfectly.The bronze pipe will line up everything if you find forward and have your gear shift in forward..Worked for me ...but be sure you look at the back side where your shift linkage hooks so you can fully understand how it works..Hope this helps my friend.....!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats, You really need to start a new thread of your own, not just hijack someone elses old thread,