• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Homemade Gimble bearing puller !!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Gimble bearing puller !!!!

I have a 1991 mariah with a mercruiser alpha one. I am replacing the bellows and the gimbal bearing. everything was going smooth until i attempted to pull the gimbal bearing. I used a 3 clawed slide hammer puller and it didnt move a millimeter. I have also been trying to find a way to make a puller myself instead of buying one since they are really expensive. Does anyone have pictures or drawing of a device that I can make myself? Also, a boat mechanic was trying to tell me that the u-joint bellow he gave me which says "mercruiser alpha one gen II " is the right one. But I thought my boat was a gen I. it doesnt have a pipe clamp on both sides like the one i took off it. its just on one side and the other side is smaller, has a metal ring inside it and doest fit around the fitting. Help me out guys. thanks.
    sigpicHome is where the water is !!!!

Re: Homemade Gimble bearing puller !!!!

Don't have anything better to do so I looked it up:

Alpha 1, 1983-1990 # 6225577-> OD469858 Bellows P# 60932A4 (no ring)

Alpha1 genII 1991-1995 # OD469859-> OF679999 Bellows P# 816431A! (ring)

91 Was a transition year, so there is a chance you could have either one. Check your serial # and it will tell you which one you have.

This ia a good site for looking up part numbers: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp Good luck!
    Terry
    87, 4WINNS H 190
    470/Alpha I

Comment

Heres mine
      NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

thanks for the parts number. i will check the serial number tomorrow as well.

Bt Doctur, what does the end piece connect to ? is there just a bolt on the other side that you crank on?

Comment

there is a nut on the other end of the threaded rod not visable, the plate has 4 guide holes that accept the top 2 studs on either side of the housing
          NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Well, I still couldnt pull the gimbal bearing out. I bent several steel plates with my homemade device and couldnt get it. I had to tap the bearing with a chisel until it turned horizontally and then I cut it out with my grinder. after I made two cuts into the bearing and pulled the bearing balls out the rest of the parts came off. I then used a 3 clawed slide hammer and pulled the outer aluminum ring off. What a fiasco ! But I got it. If the gimbal bearing had not given me a problem, replacing it and the bellows was really not a bad job to do myself. saved about 400-500 bucks !

Comment

Bt Doctur
              That tool looks awesome
              you could sell those

Comment

I just use a long home depot 1/2" or maybe 5/8" carriage bolt and a stack of 3 or 4 washers (3/4" and progressively larger until grabbing the brg.).

Tip the washers in behind the brg. and rattle them around a bit till they catch the brg. and pull snug

then I place my puller plate or have even used channelock pliers on their side over the gimbal housing, so the bolt comes out through the slip-joint, holding it snug all the time, then another washer and nut for pulling
                tighten the nut and out it comes.

I have had ZERO luck using slide hammers. You need slow steady pulling.
                Baba-buoy.

Comment

I made one from an aluminum plate and a "T" welded to a length of chain and astud welded to free end. Quite ugly but effective.

Comment

me too

It's basically a wobble head puller.

You can buy a 3 head set on sale at harbor freight for about $25

I like boat dr's
                    Charlie

Comment

mine came out easy with a 20 lb slide hammer (loaner tool from auto store... so free to me). The trick (if there is one) is to tighten/expand the jaws with the thumbscrew on the puller so that they cannot slip out of the bearing. Mine was out after 5 or 6 good whacks... but it did take a good whack. a 5 lb slide probably would not do it.

Comment

Alot of good Ideas
                        I'm going to replace the gimbal bearing at the end of the season.
                        I have the alignment tool but not the bearing driver. I saw a couple of theads where some folks have used 3" PVC pipe any other ideas or homemade drives?

Comment

I went the 3" pvc route. I had two problems.

First, its really (really) hard to keep it flat on the bearing, while holding a 2x4 on the other end, and hitting it with a small sledge. Lots of things have to lay flat. Something could probably be constructed to make it easier.

Second, the 3" PVC was actually too large (outter diameter) to drive the bearing in all of the way. I had to shave the outside a bit to get it in the final 1/8".

Also, it wasn't a show-stopper, but little bits of the pvc chipped off when hammering. I really cleaned up the area afterwards.

Its probably the one tool that I wish I'd had bought, since it was a real pain using the PVC. But it worked, and was only about $5 at lowes.
                          1991 Maxum 1800 SR
                          Mercruiser 3.0, Alpha1

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM40 View Post
                            Alot of good Ideas
                            I'm going to replace the gimbal bearing at the end of the season.
                            I have the alignment tool but not the bearing driver. I saw a couple of theads where some folks have used 3" PVC pipe any other ideas or homemade drives?
                            I made one out of some scrap aluminum bar stock (3" diameter or so) a long time ago. I tapped it for 1/2" pipe in the center so I can screw in a piece of sch 40 pipe for a driver handle.

I also have used a CV joint bearing slide hammer to remove stubborn (salt water rusted) gimball bearings before. These have a hardened toggle that you can put through the center and catch the back side quite nicely. If you are working with older drives, make sure you remove the large retainer ring first. Don't ask...

Comment

gave $20 and my id to the local marine shop and borrowed his.
                              '83 Larson Nantucket Express 7500
                              Merc 350 alpha one

Comment

Working...
                              X