RPM gauge isn't working??

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
My Rpm gauge isn't working, found out why the speedo isn't working, but what wires should I be looking for on the engine or where is the sensor I should be looking for, I am not sure where its connected to the engine:redface:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: RPM gauge isn't working??

I think most tachs work off the coil, look up your engines wiring diagram.
rob

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Ok will do!! At least I'll have a starting point:), I need to get out there and check all my connections for everything, Haven't done that yet this season, been fixing or replacing everything else that has been breaking down in the past 4 weeks(common things) check list just keeps getting longer:)
Thanks ...................Pat

buddybarnhill

Seaman Apprentice

you could just follow the wires from the dash to the back

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I had an old sting ray with a mercruiser 2.5 that had a non - working tach when I got it so after a few times out I decided to look into it.

I found that the wire at the coil was disconnected so I attached the wire to the coil and all was well.
So the next time out we get my grandaughter hooked up on the tube and as soon as the boat gets up on plane it dies and acts like its out of gas so we paddle back and put the boat on the trailer and take it home.

I put 5 gallons of gas in it and it still won't run.

Takes me a while to figure it out but I disconnect the tach wire at the coil and it fires right up.

I felt kinda stupid right then.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

you could just follow the wires from the dash to the back

Found it in the manual:) Gray wire, it also says under "trouble shooting" to try diconnecting and rehooking back up too. so I will trace the wire if that doesn't work to the gray wire on the COIL, was working fine before this season and haven't had the chance to clean all my connections yet:redface:, been busy trying to stay on top of everything else on the boat, found what I was looking for in the manual, I have a sterting point at least, Thanks guys!!