Mercruiser Rotary Ride Steering

DrEvil

Seaman Apprentice
Hey All I have the Rotary Ride Steering system in my 16 foot and I think it needs to be replaced. It is VERY stiff and it looks like there was too much slck in the cable and there are a few bends. I tried lubing it at the shaft, but I can't seem to get it to turn easier.

It does turn easier out of the water though if that helps.

My question is: Is there a direct replacement cable for this system or do I have to go aftermarket/dealer only? I know the teleflex units are most popular, but will they be a direct replacement? I don't want to lose my current steering wheel.

Also, is there anything serviceable in the helm?

Thanks

DrEvil

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser Rotary Ride Steering

I just unhooked the cable from the drive and it is still stiff.. Looks like it is definitely a cable problem.

DrEvil

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser Rotary Ride Steering

I pulled apart the helm and cleaned it up. There was some corrosion and some 25 year old grease. It went back together horribly, and then the gear was 180 deg. off... After some fighting and choice curse words (Not in front of the dog of course) I got it back in and it is a lot smoother.

If someone reads this in the future with stiff steering on your merc try taking it apart and cleaning it up. Also while you have it apart try and force some PB blaster down the cable to give you some more time. I figure this will be good for another year or two then the cable will most likely bind up again.

Good Luck