Pleas Help, when starting starter makes metal grinding noise with flywheel

sgoldstein

Cadet
Hi, there this is my first time on this site and am hoping for some much needed help. I have a 2003 volvo penta 3.0 and have really had nothing but problems with it. I am currently having problems starting it. Last time we were out I turned the engine off, then went to start it and got a loud metal on metal grinding noise. It sounded pretty bad and therefore only tried it a couple times. I am worried because the people I talked to say the engine may have seized. What is the best way to make sure that is not the case? Is there a way I can make sure my flywheel still moves freely? Also I had the starter bench tested and they said everything was good and even replaced the solenoid. I am still questionable and wondering if it is the starter and it just has no torque. I bought another starter but I wont install it until I know for sure it is the starter. If I install it and it still doesnt work I cannot take back he starter. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pleas Help, when starting starter makes metal grinding noise with flywheel

Try pulling the spark plugs,see if water comes out.

Powelling

Cadet

Starter bolts may be lose Hope that?s all it is.

sgoldstein

Cadet

The bolts were tight, however they are older bolts. Should I get new ones? Also how to u turn the flywheel by hand?

sgoldstein

Cadet

Also, what do the spark plugs have to do with it? I am not getting far enough when starting for the spark plugs to even come into play. When I turn the key its just a loud grinding metal noise. I am scared the engine could be seized.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

i am going through the same problem with my 5.7 mercruiser. pulling the plugs get rid of the engines compression so you can turn the motor over easily with a breaker bar or rachet. look on your crank pully on the front of the motor and there should be a bolt in the center of the pully, after the plugs are out put a breaker bar on that and you should be able to spin your motor over, do it a few times to make sure you cycle through all of the motors movements such as timine gears go all the way around and cam makes all of its moves. if no binds or any noise then your motor is fine. put a mirror down there and look where the starter came out and look at the teeth on the flywheel, have someone spin the crank slowy while your looking, and look for a spot where the starter took out some of the teeth. that is my problem, i have aken out teeth on the flywheel twice. if the teeth are messed up, you are going to have to pull the motor to replace the ring gear on the flywheel. not hard at all, and not expensive, just labor intensive.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

you should use new bolts with the new starter, but thats not your problem, and if you pull he spark plugs and turn the motor over and water comes out then your motor was hydrolocked and you need to find out where the water is comming in.

sgoldstein

Cadet

So I took the spark plugs off and noticed some black moist deposits. It did not look like oil and did not smell like gas. I am thinking it might be water, ugh. Still trying to figure out how to crank the motor by hand. I should just be able to put a socket on that nut and crank right??? Well going to keep trouble shooting thanks for all the advice.

2004SSI180

Seaman Apprentice

i'm dealing with the same thing but the cir pump is in the way of the crank shaft bolt and I really dont want to take that apart. So any other way