• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.
  • **** The forums will be undergoing maintenance tonight approximately 9:30pm-midnight MDT. Thank you for your patience during this time. ****

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

how to align the engine

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to align the engine

hello there I pull my outdrive out to check the aligment on my engine, I bought the tool but doesnt came with instructions at all, please help Im sorry if this sound dumb thanks

Re: how to align the engine

If you look in the adults only thread, you can download the manual, then you'll have accurate information.
    From Mercruiser:
    Anyone who uses a service procedure and/or tool, which is not recommended by the manufacturer, first must completely satisfy himself that neither his nor the product’s safety will be endangered by the service procedure selected.

Comment

well thanks for nothing because I try to download the manual and I dont get anything So I gave up.

Comment

Inspect the splines on the shaft for visible wear, generally if the splines
        are worn then the coupler is also worn. If wear is evident replace the parts
        as needed.

NEVER Force the alignment tool in, you can damage the tool and the coupler.

NOTE: If you find the tool will not slide into the gimbal simply remove the
        black coating on the largest step with fine sand paper.

1) Once you have the engine height close enough to
        fully insert the tool without force, then you can start
        working on setting the proper alignment.

Take your time, getting it close enough to insert the
        tool the first time can sometimes be the hardest (most
        frustrating) part.

2) Coat the end section of the tool (the smallest diameter
        area) with a light coat of grease and then insert it fully
        into the coupler.

3) Without turning the tool, pull it straight out and look at
        the depth of the teeth marks in the grease.

If the teeth marks in the grease are deep on the
        top side and shallow on the bottom side of the tool then
        your motor is too high.

If the marks in the grease are deeper on the bottom than
        on the top then your motor is too low.

4) Adjust the engine height accordingly.

5) Keep checking the depth of the marks in the grease until
        they are equal in depth on top and bottom.

Sometimes as little as 1/8th of a turn on the adjusting nut can be the
        difference between being properly aligned, and just having it "close"

Lightly Grease the splines on the shaft (and on the coupler if you can) with
        Spline grease prior to assembly.
        1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
        Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
        Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
        "Common sense is not very common"
        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

hey bruce thanks great information just what i was looking for thanks again.

Comment

you beat me, those are the same that i got with my bar.some guys rotate engine 180 then recheck and i guess split the difference.
            1973 Starcraft Supersport
            120 mercruiser 153c.i.

Comment

Originally posted by bruceb58 View Post
              Inspect the splines on the shaft for visible wear, generally if the splines
              are worn then the coupler is also worn. If wear is evident replace the parts
              as needed.

NEVER Force the alignment tool in, you can damage the tool and the coupler.

NOTE: If you find the tool will not slide into the gimbal simply remove the
              black coating on the largest step with fine sand paper.

1) Once you have the engine height close enough to
              fully insert the tool without force, then you can start
              working on setting the proper alignment.

Take your time, getting it close enough to insert the
              tool the first time can sometimes be the hardest (most
              frustrating) part.

2) Coat the end section of the tool (the smallest diameter
              area) with a light coat of grease and then insert it fully
              into the coupler.

3) Without turning the tool, pull it straight out and look at
              the depth of the teeth marks in the grease.

If the teeth marks in the grease are deep on the
              top side and shallow on the bottom side of the tool then
              your motor is too high.

If the marks in the grease are deeper on the bottom than
              on the top then your motor is too low.

4) Adjust the engine height accordingly.

5) Keep checking the depth of the marks in the grease until
              they are equal in depth on top and bottom.

Sometimes as little as 1/8th of a turn on the adjusting nut can be the
              difference between being properly aligned, and just having it "close"

Lightly Grease the splines on the shaft (and on the coupler if you can) with
              Spline grease prior to assembly.
              Well put, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting.
              Farmer's Tan....year round

Comment

Originally posted by bigskiohio View Post
                you beat me, those are the same that i got with my bar.some guys rotate engine 180 then recheck and i guess split the difference.
                The reason for turning the engine 180° (also 90° and 270°) is to check if your coupler is off, Many new couplers have the splines insalled in the rubber a little off. This means the coupler is not usable. This happens in both aftermarket and OEM couplers. Just the nature of the beast.
                So you must check.
                If you can put the alignment bar in easily at 0° then turn 180° and the alignment bar will not go in, YOU need a new coupler. Splitting the difference is not an option.
                Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

When you say depth, do you mean the indent into the grease or the length of which the splines show on the bar?
                  90 Chaparral 2150SX 350 MAG Alpha 1
                  Vortec Heads, LT4 HotCam Upgrade
                  GM BowTie 1.6 Roller Rockers
                  Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Intake
                  Edelbrock 600CFM Marine Carb * New MPH* 65.2
                  Laser II 21 Prop 5400 RPM's Corsa Exhaust

Comment

thanx don that clears that up for me mine was good as i rotated engine but i wondered what would i do if i had to adjust. Indents are in the grease ,it will be like long keys of grease the splines in coupler leave as you bottom out and pull straight out ,you have to do it and it will make sense. height of grease marks
                    is what you are looking at.
                    120 mercruiser 153c.i.

Comment

your rear mounts need to be tight when you start.
                      120 mercruiser 153c.i.

Comment

Originally posted by bigskiohio View Post
                        your rear mounts need to be tight when you start.
                        ALL of your mounts MUST be tight when you make your final check.
                        Don't even think that when you get the front mount adjusted but still loose, that you are done. When everything is tight, and the alignment bar slips in easily, Then you put the drive on.
                        Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                        That is what the forums are for.
                        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

i did it just like don says, all the little info that is left out of instructions is usually the most important. Like holding the flat on the threaded portion when you tighten it up.
                          120 mercruiser 153c.i.

Comment

Working...
                          X