1968 Mercruiser questions????

wildways1976

Cadet
I purchased a 1968 Glastron V-204 with a 160 Mercruiser(GM 250)

When I purchased this boat it needed alot of work... I have it near water ready....

What I have done is:

Replaced the floor
Rebuilt the engine with a new block.
Used the truck cam (lol)
Rewired 75% of the electronics between boat and engine.
replaced the outdrive gasket and o-ring
In the process of patching the deep scratches in the hull and fix one hole near the transome with fiberglass bondo.

My question(s):

I have gone over the manual many times in reguards to the shift cable.
I CANNOT seem to get it just right, while in nuetral and engine running I get a tapping sound from the lower unit. Adjust again tapping sound goes away but doesn't engage completely into reverse, adjust again then doesn't engage completely into foward....What am I missing???

I have gone through the engine (as stated above)
My engine runs great with one exception when im in gear and throttle up my engine cuts out.... while listening to it, it sounds like the carb isnt getting enough fuel or to much air... I have replaced all fuel lines and fuel filter, I believe my problem is with the carb any suggestions before I tear this thing apart??

The prop, oh the prop, I bought a prop for an Alpha unit, it slids on just fine even made sure the thrust washer was in the right place. BUT it still has some play and is rubbing on the housing of the lower unit. The nut and washer on the front of the prop are installed, the nut doesnt touch the prop and is all the way down the threaded part of the shaft.
What am I missing here????

Please help, I'm trying to get this thing in the water before school starts....:confused:

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1968 Mercruiser questions????

Is the lower shift cable original? The shift cable is probably stretched and needs replaced. Did you give it a complete tuneup. Points/condenser,plugs, cap, rotor. Carb may need rebuilt, but it's hard to say if the ignition isn't up to snuff. 40 year old coil should be replaced as well. The prop has more than just a thrust washer. It could also be the wrong thrust washer. It should have a little play in and out but not touch the housing. The nut has to lock down the prop at about 50 ft/lbs. I have seen an exploded view of the prop on here before. Try a search or the prop forum...

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1968 Mercruiser questions????

Do you have all the prop hardware there? There is a large brass (bronze?) thrust washer that goes in front of the prop, the prop itself, a funny looking washer like device with notches in it for the locking tabs to catch on, the tab washer, then the nut. If one of those parts is missing, it won't tighten up properly.