are mercruiser 470 and 488 engines same rotation?

fancyfeet

Cadet
Hello. Does anyone know if the older 488 mercruisers and the 470 mercruiseres have the same engine rotation?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: are mercruiser 470 and 488 engines same rotation?

Does anyone know if the older 488 mercruisers and the 470 mercruiseres have the same engine rotation?

Ayuh,.... Rotation,..?? It's the Same Motor....

fancyfeet

Cadet

I see, I see. Thats what I thought also just a 4bbl on the 488. I have one of each. The starter went out. Thought I would use the starter off my engine that is being gone threw, when compared they look a little different and since I am fairly new at this......better to be safe then sorry. ;) Thanks bond-o!

fancyfeet

Cadet

Starter worked on the other engine. Just appeared a little different. Fixed the sticking problem. Engine still has no fire. Bought it knowing this. Figured easy fix. Plugs are sparking. May be timing.

fancyfeet

Cadet

Well, I am going to do a rebuild on the engine. Checked compression and the last two cylinders are toast. Took the head off, sludge build-up big time. No wonder no fire! I think the year is 83 or 84 488. I know these engines are not that great but I have a 470 also and between the two of them maybe I can get a season! ;) Anywho, I am a engine builder for drag racing, does anyone know if there is any performance parts available for these engines i.e camshaft? Never built a boat motor but going to try! Also, is the waterpump on the 488 camshaft driven? Thanks for your help!

Maclin

Admiral

I have heard that those engines are used in some racing venues, not sure what but maybe some roundy-rounder class somewhere. Back in the 60's and 70's we had a guy who reground camshafts, and for certain engines (his MoPar 383 cam got you 2-3 tenths in the quarter over anything else) he was the one to talk to. Poke around on the internet with google or other search engine, maybe you can find a group or resource like that.