• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Re-install lower gear housing Alpha 1 trick?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-install lower gear housing Alpha 1 trick?

Okay so I removed the lower gear housing, replaced the impeller and O ring and can't seem to get it back on. Alpha 1 Gen1 1988. According to the manual, shift gear housing into forward, hold prop align and insert. When gear contact is made rotate prop CCW and finish pushing the gear housing up into place. I can't get it the last 3/4" to seat. Is there a trick I am not aware of?

Thanks,
    Gary

Re: Re-install lower gear housing Alpha 1 trick?

if it's like mine. i always feel like it's the water tube that gives me the grief.. best thing i've found to cure it is putting the copper tube into the waterpocket cover and the plastic guide tube into the waterpump housing. lub the ends on both of them.

putting the lower back on while the upper is still on the boat is possible. but it's much harder and will take more attempts than if ya have the upper and lower on the bench. it's much easier on the bench and ya can do it by your self.
    'Lime Time'
    1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
    Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

Make sure the upper driveshaft seal is still in place. The seal can get torn from the metal carrier ring and get jammed up in the upper gear when you push the driveshaft through it.
      1987 Doral Classic 200 Bowrider, 4.3 Mercruiser/Alpha One, 1970 Evinrude 9.5hp Sportwin, 1965 Johnson 5hp, 1964 Evinrude Speedifour, 1963 Evinrude Starflite and 1960 Evinrude Lark and when all else fails, Upper Canada Paddle Company paddles

Comment

If it is on the boat, try tying some rope tighly around it and the upper so you can move it a bit without losing your basic alignment. I take out the water inlet screens at the intake in the skeg and rope through there and the upper.

I agree it is easier on the bench and that you need to make sure the o-ring isn't jammed in the upper seal.

When it was off, do you rotate the driveshaft at all? If so, you might need to turn it a little bit to get the splines to line up. Also, make sure the shift shoe is in the proper alignment w/ the upper.

Good luck!
        A boat is a hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money

Comment

and O ring
          ya got my curiosity up. what are ya describing as an oring?
          since it's and 88 alpha1 gen 1, my assumption was that ya were talking about the quad ring. the little oring looking thing that is the seal between the upper and lower... if it was old like my 1 drive. i would assume that the oring yer talking about would be the one just below the splines on the lower drive shaft. you don't have that oring on an gen.1. only other thing i can think of that would be described as an oring would be the centrifugal slinger that sits on top of the water pump housing...

so. do be sure the quad ring is in place. it's most important, but don't interfere with putting the halves back together. the centrifugal slinger don't cause assembly issues either as it just sits on top of the water pump housing. and ya don't have a oring on the drive shaft just below the splines.. so, which oring?
          'Lime Time'
          1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
          Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

My Alpha 1 has the quad ring (seal) and O-ring on the driveshaft and the seal kit also includes it. Not sure why some wouldn't.
            1987 Doral Classic 200 Bowrider, 4.3 Mercruiser/Alpha One, 1970 Evinrude 9.5hp Sportwin, 1965 Johnson 5hp, 1964 Evinrude Speedifour, 1963 Evinrude Starflite and 1960 Evinrude Lark and when all else fails, Upper Canada Paddle Company paddles

Comment

Well I finally got it. I guess it was just too much for this old man to balance a 65 pound gear case, align and insert at once. My brother in law came by and it was a piece of cake.

The original problem was solved. It was funny though the impeller looked good to me and a guy at West Marine. It pumps good now and the gauge says a rock solid 160 degrees.

I'll finish some wiring problems and next Saturday we're going to take it out.

Thanks everybody for all the help, in my threads and the ones that I searched out.

Thanks again,
              Gary

Comment

Hopefully you had the shift control box in forward too. If not you will need to re pull the lower and do it again. You didn't say if this was a Gen II. But I am guessing not because it had an O-Ring on the vertical drive shaft.
                When will people learn that impellers require regular
                replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?

1984 Regal Medallion 195
                3.8 V-6 with the dreaded
                OMC Stringer Drive.
                2003 Avalanche w/Hypertech

If it ain't fixable - don't break it!

Comment

Yes, it was in forward and it is a Gen 1.

Comment

Originally posted by garyoNC View Post
                    Well I finally got it. I guess it was just too much for this old man to balance a 65 pound gear case, align and insert at once. My brother in law came by and it was a piece of cake.

The original problem was solved. It was funny though the impeller looked good to me and a guy at West Marine. It pumps good now and the gauge says a rock solid 160 degrees.

I'll finish some wiring problems and next Saturday we're going to take it out.

Thanks everybody for all the help, in my threads and the ones that I searched out.

Thanks again,
                    Gary
                    if you pull the impeller out of the housing and the blades stay curled back,then it not gonna work good.learned the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                    X