89 mercruiser 4.3 Flywheel broke loose

jasonwi

Recruit
I have a 1989 Sea Ray with the Mercruiser 4.3 while running about 20 MPH the engine raced shut it down and in an attempt to restart the only thing the starter would turn was the flywheel.

After getting the boat on the trailer I could spin the flywheel in forward using the prop but the motor wasn't turning. Pulled the outdrive and the flywheel is loose in the housing. Wondering if the bolts can snap off or if the crank broke off??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Flywheel broke loose

After getting the boat on the trailer I could spin the flywhell in forward but the motor wasn't turning

please elaborate on this.

jasonwi

Recruit

Pulled the starter had a friend watch the flywheel while I turned the prop the flywheel turned but the balancer on the front of the engine did not. Turned the balancer with a wrench and the motor turned over but flywheel did not move.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You left that part out. Actual breaking apart is rare, busting the studs/ bolts from a loose flywheel is more likely.Any work history on the motor?

jasonwi

Recruit
Re: 89 mercruiser 4.3 Flywheel broke loose

Normal maintenance I followed the owners manual since I have owned it which is the last 4 years. Before that it was used once or twice a year on a local lake and maintained and stored by a local dealership I am the second owner. It needs a gimbal bearing now as well as what ever is wrong with the motor. drive did not appear to have any water damage no rust and the ujoints looked ok.

I am hope it just came loose and broke the bolts but to my knowledge the bolt are original I before it broke I didn't notice any abnormal vibrations or have any other problems. When I turn the flywheel I can hear loose parts(maybe bolts) bouncing off the housing or flywheel. Will be pulling the motor Wednesday just kinda trying to get a heads up on the amount of work I am looking at and expense of parts (praying the crank didn't break).

jasonwi

Recruit

Flywheel bolts came loose and it looks like five of them broke off sometime ago leaving the pin and one bolt holding things together. Was able to get all six broke offs out of the crank.

Bondo

Staff member

Flywheel bolts came loose and it looks like five of them broke off sometime ago leaving the pin and one bolt holding things together. Was able to get all six broke offs out of the crank.

Ayuh,... Sounds Good,... Hopefully none of the holes are wallowed out,+ it'll still fit Snugly...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

wallowed out

I have nothing but the deepest respect for you, but you always make me smile.

wal⋅low  /ˈwɒloʊ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [wol-oh] Show IPA
Use wallowed in a Sentence
?verb (used without object) 1. to roll about or lie in water, snow, mud, dust, or the like, as for refreshment: Goats wallowed in the dust.
2. to live self-indulgently; luxuriate; revel: to wallow in luxury; to wallow in sentimentality.
3. to flounder about; move along or proceed clumsily or with difficulty: A gunboat wallowed toward port.
4. to surge up or billow forth, as smoke or heat: Waves of black smoke wallowed into the room.

?noun 5. an act or instance of wallowing.
6. a place in which animals wallow: hog wallow; an elephant wallow.
7. the indentation produced by animals wallowing: a series of wallows across the farmyard.

daydreamer1252

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Bond-o it would seem that mkast doesn't understand the term??....I have heard it and used it myself for at least 50 years........Grew up up north but it is even used here in Texas ...regularly....in Texas a situation such as this would usually get the comment "...it seems his education is sadly lackin'":):rolleyes::D I guess it must just colloquial use....

Bondo

Staff member

I have nothing but the deepest respect for you, but you always make me smile.

Ayuh,... What the 'ell do you think I'm tryin' to Do wasting All My time here,....
I'm a Comedian by trade,.... I just play a Mechanic on web forums....:D

Btw,....
7. the indentation produced by animals wallowing: a series of wallows across the farmyard.

Like I said,... Hope the holes ain't wallowed out.... ;) :) :D

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Bondo
Are you sure?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

I have heard it and used it myself for at least 50 years

Is that all? I guess you're relatively new at this too!
So, you're down South now, I guess the boat doesn't have a sterndrive anymore, it has a leg (pronounced lag).

Be thankful there is no two drink minimum at this show, or is there?