Alpha 1 Gen 2 throttle adjustment?

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had the boat out today and I've been noticing the throttle is very sensitive. It seems like there is no sensitivity at low throttle. For example, when maneuvering around other boats at a narrow boat launch. If I need to make a quick adjustment, it is very easy to really "goose it" and get myself into trouble (not to mention the prop wash). Or when I have someone handling the crab traps and I need to move the boats position slightly, I have to tell him to hang on or he will get thrown off his feet. I can gradually bring up the speed if I have to but it takes real concentration and careful adjustment to do it.
Otherwise it shifts fine - just seems overly sensitive to throttle input.

Grant

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 throttle adjustment?

Is there an adjustment for this or is it likely the cable? Still not fixed and I'd like to have a look at it before the season starts up again.

Grant

havasuboatman

Ensign

Is it a single lever, or dual?
What brand and model?
Is the lever kinda tight? like the pressure to get the handle moving makes it jump further than you want it to, or is it really loose?
Most controllers have a tension adjustment on them. Look for a set screw. Usually reached from the bottom of the handle when the handle is in neutral.
Or, does a tiny bit of lever movement result in a lot of carb linkage movement?
If that is the case, you may have to change your linkage so it takes more cable movement to accuate the carb linkage.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... There's no easy adjustments,...
Getting used to what you got would be the Easiest, simplest way to cure the problem...

Depending on the Controller you've got, there might be other pivot points that could be utilized to slow the speed of the cable, vs. the speed of the lever...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would also have to ask what kind of an engine and carb? (Alpha I Gen II does not have a carb). If the control is hooked up correctly, the linkage on the carb may be wrong. Maybe a conversion 2bbl to 4bbl?

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whoops, It's a 1993 4.3l Alpha 1 Gen 2 and yep it has a big ol' 2 barrel sitting on top of it.
"Alpha 1 Gen 2 does not have a carb"?! Maybe not a gen 2? Except that's what I've been buying parts for!

Single controls on it (the boat in my avatar). It seems tight and then kind of "lets go" and moves the throttle position quite a bit which suddenly increases the rpm in a big jump instead of slowly. I'd estimate that it will jump by 500 rpm or so. It is a big deal as this boat only weighs about 1500# and really responds to the throttle.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Alpha I Gen II is an OUTDRIVE, not an Engine. That drive is used on 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines.

It seems tight and then kind of "lets go" and moves the throttle position quite a bit which suddenly increases the rpm in a big jump instead of slowly.

Sounds like the cables are out of adjustment and fighting against each other.
Do you have a picture of the control, boat type has nothing to do with the type of control you have.

You might want to go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of the fourm, and download service manual #7, then look at page 2B-11 and see if your linkage is set up the same way as in the manual.
It's also possible you don't have the OEM carb and the linkage is different.