Power Steering problems, Stumped?

No Problem

Recruit
Got twin 1999, 5.7 ltr.s hooked to volvo dp outdrives, freshwater cooled.
Every now and then the steering wheel will jerk right to left uncontrolably. Only happens at idle speed, (usaully when docking or something important).
Fluid is good, level is good, belt is good. Doesn't happen every time we go out. Turn the engine off and right back on and it stops. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, great forum. I've already learned alot and hope sometime I can pass it along.

Rob Suchman
"No Problem"
Nashville, TN
328 vista

alldodge

Staff member
Got twin 1999, 5.7 ltr.s hooked to volvo dp outdrives, freshwater cooled.
Every now and then the steering wheel will jerk right to left uncontrolably. Only happens at idle speed, (usaully when docking or something important).
Fluid is good, level is good, belt is good. Doesn't happen every time we go out. Turn the engine off and right back on and it stops. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, great forum. I've already learned alot and hope sometime I can pass it along.

Rob Suchman
"No Problem"
Nashville, TN
328 vista

The flats on the steering cylinder need to be straight up (see thread below), and make sure the nut which holds the cable is tight.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi.../600981-volvo-penta-with-jerky-steering-issue

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The original post was from 2009 and the last time the person who posted visited this board was in 2010. I don't think you're likely to get an answer, jrisebo. Might want to start your own topic. (Forum rules state that threads inactive for three months or more are dead, and you're requested to start a new thread.)

Post your question, and I bet you get lots of help!