Mercruiser 3.0 LX Carb issue

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently have been trying to get my used /new boat to me running- I got the boat to idle in my driveway a few times and and have narrowed my diagnostics down to the fuel delivery sytem. I changed the fuel filter in the carb- new water fuel seperator - new gas -treated the gas with startron. and used a little gumout a nd startewr fluid only to have the negine conk out when I gave her a little throtttle--- Well i believe my prob has been the carb -the guy before me painted the carb body so i had to chip off the paint to see the numbers well the numbers did not match the what the mercruiser serial engine tag read so im pretty sure that its a areplacement carb and believe the guy sold the bolt because he coulodnt get the carb situation under control-anyway -the carb is suppose to be a mercarb 3310-807504a1 or 3310-805924a2 and lastly 3310-864940a03 I found the first one online for a ridiculous 630 dollars. Iknow that sierra makes some replacements but i cant figure out which would be suitable -can anyone shed some light on this -My last choice would be to rebuild the one thats on right now -thanks again for any input. Ill post the carb numbers on the one thats on the engine now -i have to run out and get them-maybe someone will be able to tell me what carb it is. 861245 followed by 8602 its a a 2 barrel but i dont what make it is.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 LX Carb issue

Im going to follow up on my own post -here it is i just found that it seems to be a mercarb for a 5.7 liter. obviously its not working - im thinking this is the source of my problem -i could use some opinions though. It was idling nice for a little while - but i believe it definetly needs a rebuild or replacement - any thoughts.

Bondo

Staff member

im thinking this is the source of my problem -i could use some opinions though.

Ayuh,.... I agree,.... Get the Right carb...

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

well heres the update -after a few phone calls and some research im going to use a remanufactured carb that replaces a 1389-9562 from a 3.0l and yes i have the 3.0LX engine ---My first reason for doing this is my bottom line they want alot of money for the right carb its about 650.00 i have seen it for as low as 515.
Yikes thats a lot of dough. So this replacement carb has almost identical specs to the original expect the jet size which i believe canbe changed -she might run a little lean at first as per the numbers but that can be worked out. The other issue is the venturi cluster seems to have a different id number. Im crossing my fingers that wont really be an issue the id # on the original is 464 and the replacemt seems to be 442. Every other spec seems to be on the money and I the purchas of the remanufactured carb is half the price. I will recieve it in 5 days and will update the post after I get the carb on. I hope this will someone else in the future. If anyone thinks the venturi will pose a a problem please advise me thanks.Wish me luck I need to get out on the water.:)

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

my carb comes in wed so ill update then

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

ATOMB If your 3.0LX is a 95 your venturi cluster noumbers are correct for carb #3310-805924 which I did not find out until I totally dissassembled my carb because my I.D. TAG is missing and was only able to get the 4 possible carb #'s you listed. If the venturi # number on your new carb is 442 you will be dealing with a 36mm primary jet size is 1.45mm and yourpower valve size is 0.74mm I believe to be up to snuff with the 3.0 LX you will need the 464 venturi cluster and the 1.60mm primary jets along with 0.74mm power valve. If you have any issues with the carb and a rebuild kit aftermarket marine sells a universal kit that fits all 2 barrel mercarbs and contains both size accelerator pumps. But before you start check everything leading to the carb like the anti siphon valve, fuel tank vent, fuel pressure out of the pump and keep in mind the venturi cluster isn't cheal either.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info fat fanny -anyways I want to update you guys with my success -the carb went on perfect-although i had to install anew fuel line and adjust the the throttle cable-the boat is running like a champ. Taking her out monday for her first ride . I do have a nother question for you folks about the drivetrain ill start an new thread though -thanks for the help.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I took the boat out for her first test run as me as the new owner and the boat ran like a champ. The rochester that replaced the mercarb worked perfect . I could not be happier. Spent the day cruising the Great south bay and the fire island inlet- perfect day with my wife and father aboard -Thanks for all that have helped me.:D

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

atomb great to hear of your successful test run and glad to hear shes running fine. Just curious what did the rochester set you back? I was considering the same swap in the future but like you I'am happy for now.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

about 305 after shipping costs - Carlos at I5auto helped me out -real nice guy - great carb -cant say enough good things about it. I found him over on Ebay

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

thanx atomb is carlos@15auto his web address? and are they refurbs or new? Also if I were you I would invest in a carb kit and rebuid the old 1 yourself and list it on ebay to get some of you new carb cost back mostlikly more then half??

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

the carb was a rebuilt beautifully done. i5auto@msn.com ----carlos was the guy i dealt with - good guy listenbed to me whine about my problem and was very customer oriented -Told me if I had some issues to call and he would try to help me over the phone. --The carb came with a gasket and and fresh coat of paint ---- He predrilled a hole oin the choke lever and it matched up perfectly for my throttle cable. The fuel inlet nut was put in the correct inlet and the universal inlet nut had was brand new and the carb worked like a dream- I'm going to fix the other carb and put it up for sale -thanks for the advice. Good luck just explain to Carlos what you have and hell give you what you need - I would buy another one from him in a heartbeat.