Mercruiser 350 Water in oil!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukonpete

Cadet
Good day

I have a 1990 Peterborough Indy with a 350 Mercruiser with Alpha drive and through hull exhaust. I bought this boat from a police auction...so I have absolutely no history on it.

As soon as I got it home, I checked the oil dipstick and found no traces of water. I started it and ran it with the water ears on the outdrive...In my backyard. Ran for 5 minutes?. No problems?she ran smooth. Shut it down and checked for water in the oil?..there was none. I then took it to the lake and ran for about 20 minutes ?.at around 10 mph?? I didn?t want to push her on the first run.

But she overheated anyways. I shut it down right away and got her towed back to shore. Took her home and found no traces of water in the oil. I then took the outdrive apart and found the water pump impeller to be in sad shape?two teeth missing. Replaced it, and then started her up in the backyard again?with the water ears on. Now I have full water flow?. Water was coming out of the exhaust pipes ?. and was not overheating. But I checked the dipstick, and it was creamy white! I drained all the oil and found about a quart of water in there? she had only run for 10 minutes with the new impeller.

I took the plugs out, and had water come out of one plug only. Then did a compression test and had good even compression on all cylinders (110)

Replaced exhaust manifolds, risers and gaskets?started her up again?.same?one quart of water in the oil!!

Could this be an intake manifold problem? I was told that with good compression, the block and head gaskets are good and can be ruled out?.?.but maybe this is wrong?

I have taken the intake manifold off?.found a ripped gasket?right where the water was getting into the cylinder?..but I?m not 100 percent convinced this is the problem

Any ideas?

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser 350 Water in oil!!

if you found a tear in the gasket, and signs of water getting thru there, then problem solved. if it is in fact just intake gaskets, thank the stars. that's a quick, simple fix. it only takes one small void in gasket to allow water to get thru.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

good call Bubba1235. the morning coffee hasn't fully kicked in yet. a bad intake gasket is a problem, but depending where the tear is, would possibly cause motor to run a bit rough.

Yukonpete

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys....looks like i'm in the market for a new block!

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

If I was going to guess ----- I would look at a cracked head before a cracked block.
Especially if the water was on plug # 3,5,4 or 6.
Good Luck Muc

Status
Not open for further replies.