What is that reservior--power trim fluid??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice
While boating last weekend, I noticed a reservior on my 3.0L Mercruiser that is to the back and left when looking at the engine that has a yellow cap. It is only half full, so I need to figure out what to add :) I know it isn't the engine oil or the lower unit/gear oil, so is it the power trim fluid?

Thanks so much!

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is that reservior--power trim fluid??

Just a thought........
Have you tried following the hose that is attached to that reservoir to see where it goes?
I know on my trim/tilt pump, the reservoir is part of the unit and is mounted on the floor away from the engine, in my case. And it does have a yellow cap.
Try following the hose to see if it goes down to a pump with hydraulic lines coming out of it.;)

wvit1001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reading an owner's manual would probably be a good place to start.

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

Good point about the owners manual. I will tonight. I am at work and was just thinking about it so posted a quick question here. Thanks!

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

And now that you mention it...it really isn't on the side of the engine, but away from it a bit......near the floor. Sorry to be misleading!

TilliamWe

Banned

It's gonna be the power trim fluid reservoir. Confirm that in your Mercruiser manual, though.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And now that you mention it...it really isn't on the side of the engine, but away from it a bit......near the floor. Sorry to be misleading!

Does it look like this?

IMAG0024-1.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Having the year or SN of your engine would help, some years don't have pumps like that. A picture would really help (unless Pierutrus is correct)

jr1017

Cadet

That looks just like the pump on mine for the trim/tilt. Someone told me to just use 5/30 or 10/30 oil. Don't know if thats true, but that's what was told to me, you also said it is only half full...You need to make sure you know where your drive is at the time of checking it. When checking the level, you should have your drive down as low as you can get it, if not all the way down, that's when the resevoir tank will be the fullest, the drive half up will probably give you a half full reading and the drive all the way up like for trailering will look like the tank is almost empty.

bigmacfan

Seaman Apprentice

That is awesome information about the level varying with position of the outdrive. I don't recall, quite honestly, where the outdrive was when I checked it. I had the hatch open to check the gas level (I have NEVER had a boat that the gas gauge worked!) and just happened to notice this reservior.

It does look exactly like the picture posted, so thanks for that as well.

I have a bottle of some stuff at home that is Mercruiser and is "power trim and steering fluid"...is this what I should use? I don't remember why I have this stuff, but there it is in the garage :) I got this boat when it had only 19 hours on it and there was a bottle of some kind of fluid stuck back along the storage compartment on the sides...this might have been it...who knows :)

Barcomb

Recruit

Just a thought........
Have you tried following the hose that is attached to that reservoir to see where it goes?
I know on my trim/tilt pump, the reservoir is part of the unit and is mounted on the floor away from the engine, in my case. And it does have a yellow cap.
Try following the hose to see if it goes down to a pump with hydraulic lines coming out of it.;)
Make me laugh not one post here has answered the question asked what fluid is used is question and where pump is is not the answer so use 10-30 motor oil or atf

Status
Not open for further replies.