How do you tell if Gimble Bearing is going bad?

kblaksley

Cadet
Strange new noise in deep low power turns. Loud rumble.

I remember once during a lake test our local master merc tech telling me to listen for rumble in turns indicating failing gimble bearing.

I am getting this noise now. Could mis aligned engine or side mounts cause same scenario?

The engine is Merc 5.7 with Alpha One / Gen 2

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How do you tell if Gimble Bearing is going bad?

I am getting this noise now. Could mis aligned engine or side mounts cause same scenario?

Ayuh,... Pull the drive,+ Check it,....

Bondo

Staff member

What are the normal symptoms prior to pulling?
Ayuh,.....
Strange new noise in deep low power turns. Loud rumble.
Right There....

kblaksley

Cadet

Right There....

""Ayuh"" Engine alignment, Gimble bearing, U-Joints???

In hopes of actually getting some idea as to severity before committing down time I was looking for more technical response as opposed to "Ayuh".. and my quote.

So again, Is a faulty gimble bearing the only item that will cause rumble in deeps turns with low power??

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same growling noise from the stern and replaced the gimble bearing and it is pretty quiet now. But I still have a vibration and after reading through the forums I decided to replace the ujoints with ones I purchased from JHall off eBay for pretty cheap. I will be pulling the drive tomorrow and replacing the ujoints and lube the shifting fork that I did not do last week when I replaced the gimble bearing.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your gimbal bearing is most likley the problem. When you get in there your going to need to find out why it failed. Is your alingment good? Was it routinley greased? .You will need to check your u joints as well. And if you had water intrusion you will definalely need to find out where that is coming from. If you have'nt done bellows in a few years it's time for those too.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

As for down time, You need to bite it, BEFORE it bites you"
A few item`s will cause this type of noise. All have been mentioned.
All need to be checked ,otherwise????????????????????????????????
Your wallet will be keeping the "Down Time" company.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

In hopes of actually getting some idea as to severity before committing down time I was looking for more technical response as opposed to "Ayuh".. and my quote.

So again, Is a faulty gimble bearing the only item that will cause rumble in deeps turns with low power??
He is just pointing out that you already know the symptoms of a gimbal bearing going out.

Its easy to remove the drive. Put it in forward gear and remove six nuts is pretty much all it takes. As other have suggested, check for water intrusion.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is no "technical" response. If you get a grumbling noise from the l/u than most likely it's the gimbal bearing. Period. It's your call.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you say loud rumbling, how loud? Don't they all have a little growl to them? My bravo has a low rumble when engaged just off idle, but increase the throttle and it goes away. Around 4k it has a slight vib, and I mean very slight, like most people cant feel it, but not before or not after. It runs out good and quiet when running.

Is there any way to tell with the drive still on the boat, like put the muffs on and put it in gear and listen. THanks

zinc

Seaman Apprentice

No where in this forum has anybody asked does this noise happens when the drive is all the way up in the trailer position......,It will make some noise when the drive is all the way "UP"position.

zinc

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry.,,,,,,,I screwed up,"MEESH" hit the nail on the head

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Zinc, you should never run the engine with the drive past the trim limit. It's there for a reason. If you run the engine with the drive all the way up, get ready to replace a few parts.