OMC Side Mount Throttle Control

JMC69871

Cadet
Sorry for the long post in advance. I have a 1992 Seaswirl 230 SWL with an OMC cobra outdrive. Just had the transom shift cable replaced as well as the ESA (switched to electronic). Right after the electronic ESA was installed I went to launch the boat. Boat engaged in reverse fine and I backed the boat off the trailer. After I tried to put the boat back into neutral, the lever on the control unit broke and I could not get the boat out of neutral. The button underneath the handle is just hanging there and nothing happens when you pull it up to try and move the lever. The handle is currently stuck in neutral and I cannot seem to find how to disconnect the handle from the actual control unit. I have posted pictures of the actual lever, but am not sure if this helps at all? What should I do from here? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I would like to try and fix this myself before I result in taking it to a mechanic. Thanks!
PS-Sorry for the low quality pics

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0130-1.jpg

seaswirl cpt

Recruit
Re: OMC Side Mount Throttle Control

I'm pretty sure to disconnect the handle you have to put it in reverse. There will be a screw or alan head exposed when you do this. After you pull this out you should be able to disassemble it.

JMC69871

Cadet

I had read a previous thread about that, but I cannot get the handle to move in forward or reverse. The button to pull it out of neutral is broken. The lever is completely stuck in neutral. Any ideas on how to put it in reverse? Thanks for the quick response.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's underneath, no need to expose it. Look on the bottom - there's a setscrew holding it on.

Also, you need to get a manual. It has all the info you need for this repair.

JMC69871

Cadet

Ok thanks. Are you referring to an OEM manual from OMC?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The OMC manual will not have that control in it.

Also, what do you mean they switched the ESA from switched to electronic? The ESA gets operated by micro switches,

JMC69871

Cadet

Well according to the OMC mechanic that installed my transom shift cable, there is an updated ESA with a firmware upgrade that only allows activation for 5 seconds. He installed that as well for $125. We tested it out at his shop and it worked fine, but obviously the true test would be out in the water under a load. Still no luck with the control unit though. I know its a long shot, but does anyone recognize the brand of this unit?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The OMC manual absolutely has this control. I have this control. It's referenced, shown disassembled and service steps are covered in my OMC service manual.

Yes, I'm talking about the OMC OEM service manual.

Seaswirl is right - you have to move the handle to reverse to get to the set screw that's holding it on.

JMC - maybe go behind the control and remove the shift and throttle control cables? That may help you get it moving again? If I remember to grab my manual and bring it to work I'll scan the pictures of the disassembled control and post them here, maybe that'll help.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

He installed the updated ESA that does not require the overstroke switch. It will still use one of the switches.

JMC69871

Cadet

bruce-Does that updated ESA perform better?
Danond-I would very much appreciate the scanned images. I will disconnect my cables today and see if I can't get it moving again. I have a feeling the lever still won't budge. Do you have a name or part number handy for the control unit? Thanks for the help everyone.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If everything is adjusted properly, it will work the same as the old one. Since that doesn't happen in real life, the new ESA limits the amount of time that ESA operates so that it isn't killing the spark when it shouldn't be. Basically, as your lower shift cable wears and doesn't move as freely as it does when it is new, the newer ESA will still work properly.