Broken Gear Lube Connector Merc 5.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.

deandec

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I struggled removing my fuel filter, so I released a fuel hose routing clamp and raised the bundle out of my way. That work fine, except.......the plastic connector at the transom for my stern drive Gear Lube resevoir snapped off and I have hose in hand:mad::confused::mad:

It appears that the repair requires removal of the stern drive to access the connection point. Can anyone verify, before I spend thousands to get this fixed:confused:

Thanks Dean
Mercruiser 5.7L carb gas in a 21' Maxum 2000sr

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Broken Gear Lube Connector Merc 5.7L

What year and what drive? Not sure what fuel line you are talking about that could be connected to the reservoir line either.
Could be the quick disconnect came loose. Post a picture or something.

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can do it with the drive on but it is harder to do if you have never done it.There is a c-clip on the inside that can be hard on some boats to get to.

The new one does not come with the c-clip if I remember right dont drop the one you have.

deandec

Seaman Apprentice

Don S. This is a gear lube tank line not a fuel line. It is a 2000 alpha one sterndrive.

It does have a C clamp which fastens the hose to a thru hull fitting? The fitting appears to have broken in half and will need to be replaced. I have the C clamp.

That's why I fear the stern drive will need to be removed to effect the fix. Is that true?

I cannot see the terminus of the hose and fitting in the bilge under the engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

C clamp =
images

C clip aka E clip =
images

The outdrive should be coming off the boat yearly for basic maintenance. alignment check, lube and checking of the ujoints and gimbal bearing, checking for water in the bellows, etc.. It's an easy job. Takes all of 15 minutes.
Head up to the Adults only sticky at the top of this forum and download service manual #14. You will end up having to remove the drive and the bellhousing, and probably the bellows to access the fitting. After 9 years, you need a new bellows too.

deandec

Seaman Apprentice

Don S, thank you for the informative response. I am just learning my way around this forum.

It appears I have a hose clamp, not a C clamp at my lube hose loose end. The thru hull fitting is broken with part of it in the loose hose end.

I have a visual now on the broken thru hull fitting. I have also found the fitting on the outside of the transom.

Next is to find a local repair service that has a part and ability to make the repair.

Thanks for the Adults Only recommendation. Very informative and gives me a good idea of what the repair should cost.

Excellent forum and assistance.

Dean

deandec

Seaman Apprentice

Well, now I have looked at the internet and the boat for 12 hours, and I have identified what appears to be a quick disconnect fitting that is part of the plumbing of this gear lube remote tank.

The broken fitting appears to be a 22-865379 CONNECTOR, Female Quick Connector.

That being the case, it would seem that if I can remove the current broken quick connect inside the transom, I could install a new quick connect to the boat side hose and not have to dismount the lower unit.

Are these quick connectors fairly universal?

What is the secret to removing the old quick connector?

I cannot reach it except perhaps with a longer needle nose pliers than I now own.

Dean
2000 Maxum 2001 sr
5.7L Merc / Alpha One Gen II

Fun Times

Staff member

Well, now I have looked at the internet and the boat for 12 hours, and I have identified what appears to be a quick disconnect fitting that is part of the plumbing of this gear lube remote tank.

The broken fitting appears to be a 22-865379 CONNECTOR, Female Quick Connector.

That being the case, it would seem that if I can remove the current broken quick connect inside the transom, I could install a new quick connect to the boat side hose and not have to dismount the lower unit.

Are these quick connectors fairly universal?

What is the secret to removing the old quick connector?

I cannot reach it except perhaps with a longer needle nose pliers than I now own.

Dean
2000 Maxum 2001 sr
5.7L Merc / Alpha One Gen II
I have done a few of these, depending on the room you have in the boat the best way to some times see and get to the fitting is to get a flash light and shine it up just behind the starter looking at the area around the shift cable. The hose quick connector would still be hooked to the assy that will go thru the transom assy, and once you remove the connector the fitting will be black in color and should have a orange colored o ring on it and you may see oil coming out of it. To remove the connecter, The tab that you will need to push in will be on the starboard side of the boat, Or as you are looking at it while laying down a long side the engine while trying to reach and see it with the light or a tool or if your hand is small enough to reach in there would be the best, Reach down past the starter area, Then push in the tab, It should be in between the [8-9]"o"clock spot, Then you should be able to push in the tab and slowly try to pull it off as level as you can, It is kind of hard to pry it off as it some times feels like it is twisting to one side and it dose not want to come off smooth, Maybe it's because the oring is holding it on also. If that makes sence too you. Now to install it you might be able to reach in at the same spot and push it back on, The hose will be coming from the port side so make sure the tab snaps back on at the [8-9] 'o'clock, Some times it is easyr if you have help with some one on the port side feeding you the line over and help keep the hose level while you try to snap it on. Now if all that dose not work out for you then the other way to get to it is from the port side laying down, Or from the top portish side looking down at the area, If you need to go in this way you will need to remove the intake water hose and then move the water inlet adapter to one side or remove it what ever you find works for you at the time. I some times will remove the top bolt or the easyest bolt you can get to and then some times you can just loosen the second bolt that is a little harder to reach just enough to slide it over to give me some room to get my hands in their and try to work at getting the connector off. It's still hard some times going in that way to get the tab to push it in due to it being at [8-9]oclock, But at least you some times can use too hands to pull it off. Also by now I would have turned the steering wheel to one side to give me more room to get in their and work. Then just hook every thing back up and fill the drive bottle up and run the engine out and keep a eye on the bottle, And also check the fittings of the oil and the water hose fitting that you MIGHT need to remove to be able to get in to the area that you are working on for any leaks. And also some times the oil bottle will go low after this job so keep some oil in the boat, And then you are done. I hope this helps you out some, And if you do it your self take your time on it and do not rush it at all then you will have a good day. Good luck.;):)

deandec

Seaman Apprentice

Boat Tech: Thank you for the detailed repair description.

I am able to see and maybe reach the fitting from the top by laying on my engine cover and working through the steering arms. I see a white crescent at the 9:00 position which perhaps is the connect release. I will give it a go after a visit to the tool store for a longer needle nose pliers to go with my screwdriver.

Thank you.

Dean
5.7L merc Alpha 1 Gen II

deandec

Seaman Apprentice

OP Update: Yes, I have removed the remainder of the broken connector. The white crescent I mentioned in the last post was the wrong side of the quick connect release. I spun the connector with a screwdrive and found a white square button. Pushing the button with the screwdiver and sweeping the connection with the new 8" pliers accomplished the deed. No hassle at all.

I have now ordered the replacement part (shipping is more than the part) from JMS in Houston since no one in my area had one in stock for sale.

If it goes on as easy as the old was removed, I will be back in business and not posting this topic any more.

Thanks to all for your help as I discovered how to do the repair myself. Perhaps someone else will benefit from this thread.

Dean
5.7 Merc, Alpha One Gen II

deandec

Seaman Apprentice

OP again.

Well the quick connect connector I ordered fit fine and is installed but I did learn a few more lessons.

1. If your connector breaks inside the transom, Do Not Remove the C Clamp behind the broken connector.:mad: It is tedious to reinstall and its removal does nothing to assist the repair.

2. I did remove the link pin from the steering gear and the water line adjacent to the connector to improve my access to the connector.

3. Weary of seaching the bilge for that C clamp that I had dropped many times while trying to install it, I finally tied a fishing line to the clamp so I could retrieve easily.

4. I also tied the fish line to the cotter pin that had to be reinstalled blind in the steering rod pin.

I am sure others have used the fish line concept before, but it was new and useful to me while working at fingertip reach behind the engine with small uncoperative parts.

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Came across this thread while doing a search as I just broke one. I might have to tie fishing string to my leg to fish myself out of the hole I have to climb into. Ugghh! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.