• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

5.7 mercruiser timing

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.7 mercruiser timing

I have a 1995 5.7 mercruiser straight inboard. I want to check the timing. It seems that that some distributers need to be grounded and others do not. How can I tell what ignition system I have. There are two wires (nut and bolt terminals) on the distributer, no other electronic goodies. It is a quadrajet carbed engine. Thanks.

Re: 5.7 mercruiser timing

You have a Thunderbolt IV ignition. You do not have to put it in base timing mode. Just hook up your timing light and look at the timing.
    Go up to the adults only sticky, and go to the Merc service manual link and download manual #17. Has all the info you need.
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Thanks for the adults only area. Great resource! Went to the boat this morning timing light in hand and gave it a shot. Runs like absolute crap at 8*BTDC. When I set timing by ear, motor runs great More RPM's, starts quicker, sounds more confident.However, according to the timing light I am at +-10*ATDC. I say again though, that is where the engine runs absolutley fantastic. I am using the dash tach at 650 rpm's.

Comment

the reason it runs like crap at 8 BTDC and good at the 10 ATDC is no timing it i probably it has been so long since you have done a tune up or... your fuel delivery is off.

"Reel Justice"
        Trophy 2059
        Bravo 1 Drive
        Mercruiser 5.7 250hp

Comment

Are you sure you are on #1? Looking at the engine, which wire did you put it on?
          1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
          Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
          Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
          "Common sense is not very common"
          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Gentlemen I'm pretty religious with maintainence. Two spin on fuel filters and the carb filter are new. Plugs cap rotor this year. Fuel pressure/pump bad?
            That I dont know, haven't guaged that. Runs strong at "wrong" timing. Last season and this season had a dieseling problem that yard mechanics couldn't work out. They said timing was right on and i didn't pursue it because a shot of fuel treatment made the dieseling go away. Now I'm the yard mechanic (well kinda sort of) and I can also say timing was right on, but its like a new engine at 10* ATDC. It's a fishing boat and I dont speed in it. However I know timing is important and dont want to hurt anything. Carb rebuilt this year also. Thanks.

Comment

If I manually line up the mark on harmonic balancer with O* on tab and then remove distributer cap the rotor should be pointing to #1 plug. If it's pointing elsewhere how much trouble am I in. Thanks and enjoy the weekend.

Comment

You have a 50/50 chance that it is aiming at the right plug. Turn the crankshaft amother 360 degrees and report back. Remember, you have a 4 stroke engine. Crank rotates twice for every revolution of the distributor.
                1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                "Common sense is not very common"
                "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

If you time an engine by ear, thinking that the faster the idle and smoother it runs, you are WAY OFF THE MARK.
                  Put the timing at 8į BTDC at 650 to 700 rpm. Then adjust the carb for best idle. It's usually done after replacing the spark plugs, cap and rotor during the seasonal tuneup.
                  You should also be doing a yearly compression check just to make sure the engine is actually tunable.
                  Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                  That is what the forums are for.
                  Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Still working on my timing issue. I have verified top dead center on compression stroke with a wooden dowel in #1 spark plug hole. The mark on harmonic balancer lines up with 0 on timing marker. Rotor is pointing to #1 wire on distributer. Can"t get any happiness at 8*BTDC but at 10* ATDC runs good at idle and up. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Comment

is it tbiv or tbv?

Comment

Working...
                      X