• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Outdrive oil type...Mercruiser vs walmart brand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdrive oil type...Mercruiser vs walmart brand

Is there any difference between the Walmart brand Gentech and the Mercruiser brand? The price difference is significant, 14.00 vs 3.00.

paul

Re: Outdrive oil type...Mercruiser vs walmart brand

I have moved this over to the I/O section as it is specifically asked about an outdrive . . .

I was tempted to lock it as these threads almost always become a peeing contest However . . . since I don't recall a specific question about Gentech, maybe it will be valuable. If the flames start, I will pull out my peeing stick and quench it in a heartbeat DonS may lock it even sooner. Good luck!!!
    Torque gets you there. Horsepower gets you there in time for dinner.

Comment

It has always been my belief in life..."You get what you pay for...." buyer beware....
      1984 - S2 Yachts - 23' Tiara Continential - 260 mercrusier - alpha 1 drive

Comment

as long as its gl-5 certified, you'll be fine.
        1984 Cobia Charger, 120 Mercruiser/Alpha 1

Comment

Originally posted by prc03sx195 View Post
          Is there any difference between the Walmart brand Gentech and the Mercruiser brand? The price difference is significant, 14.00 vs 3.00.

paul
          Do you mean "Supertech?" And you are talking about the outdrive oil, and not the engine oil... correct?

I use the Supertech ENGINE oil without any qualms in most of my engines - car or boats.

For the OUTDRIVE, I spend a little extra and use the Mercruiser High Performance lube. The "green stuff." I suspect the Walmart brand of oil is the same as the "regular" Mercruiser lube - if it is light brown or honey colored it is the "regular" stuff. I recommend the green stuff. (How's that for scientific description? )

Comment

I have had good luck running the Pennzoil premium marine gear lube...5 bucks a quart. I change it twice a year though.
            sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

When it comes to the outdrive lube I use the Merc High Perf. They designed the outdrive. Comaring price of outdrive replacement to $10 more for a quart of lube I wouldn't chance it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbob_FTW View Post
                as long as its gl-5 certified, you'll be fine.
                Is Merc high perf gear lube+ gl-5 certified? I don't see it on the bottle or in the merc accessories guide saying it is, just curious.

James

Comment

The Walmart typr that I recently used was the green type which I have usually seen from the "better brand lubes" or even sythetic or synthetic blend.Charlie

Comment

I run the Merc HIPO Fluid.
                    90 Chaparral 2150SX 350 MAG Alpha 1
                    Vortec Heads, LT4 HotCam Upgrade
                    GM BowTie 1.6 Roller Rockers
                    Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap Intake
                    Edelbrock 600CFM Marine Carb * New MPH* 65.2
                    Laser II 21 Prop 5400 RPM's Corsa Exhaust

Comment

Assuming you change your outdrive oil once a year, you'll save about $11 per year on an Alpha, and about $33 per year on a Bravo.

Have you priced drive repairs or replacements lately? Figure that you're going to need somewhere in the neighborhood of a minimum of 50 years of savings if the cheaper oil causes you ANY type of drive problems.

Supposedly the Merc stuff can hold a substantial amount of water (lots of detergents maybe?) and still provide adequate lubrication in case of a leaking seal. Guess that's what bullet #3 is about in this Mercruiser propaganda: http://www.mercurymarine.com/otherpr...gearlubehp.php

I run the Merc stuff in mine, figure $30/year is worth it just to not have to worry about it enough to ask the opinion of a bunch of yahoos on the internet who you have no idea how much they know!!!
                      Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

Well I went to the dealer today and the Merc stuff costs 16.50 a qt. if anyone is interested.
                        How much does the outdrive hold? Thanks

paul

Comment

Approx a quart and 1/4 to a 1/2.get 2 quarts and you are covered.charlie

Comment

Working...
                          X