How long does it take to change a shift cable?

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Just got the bill from the workshop for changing the shift-cable on my 2001 Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive and they have charged me for 5 hours labor? Sounds like a lot to me, given what I have read on here, or does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for any comments.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: How long does it take to change a shift cable?

5 hours is reasonable and fair.
Just curious, Is the boat a 3.0L or a V-engine?

insaneasylm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah just wondering what the total bill was. and also they must do it like car mech. they look up in the book to see how many hrs it takes and charge you for that many. It dosn't matter if it took 5hrs or 2 hrs.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Marine mechanics do not charge the same as car mechanics. There have been more boat mfg's than auto makers over the last 50 years. It's not like a honda civic where they are all the same in a model year run. Its not the engine/drive that makes the job difficult, it's the boat and the access you have. And it's usually alot of in and out, up and down the ladder, with a boat.
With boats we estimate, and do our best to come close to that estimate, but (hopefully) we communicate that there is flexibility in that estimate.
There is a book for common jobs that Merc has. Whats in the book is what Merc will pay a dealer(or not pay) for warrantyable jobs. If your the low man in the shop you get the warranty work. :(
BTW, Merc would pay a dealer 4.0 hours for that job if it were under warranty.

SandyBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the comments guys. The engine is a V6 (4.3). Total cost for the job including parts was 264 Euros (works out at around 360 USD). Maybe that sounds about right?

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Did merc up the flat rate in the last few years? I thought it was 3hrs including R&R the drive.

I charge 3hrs to do them and usually can do them in 2hrs. If there's a bunch of corrosion or it needs a bell hsg shift shaft seal/bshg it's more.

James

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the comments guys. The engine is a V6 (4.3). Total cost for the job including parts was 264 Euros (works out at around 360 USD). Maybe that sounds about right?

That is about what I'd get for the job.

James