• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

270 outdrive compatible engines?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 270 outdrive compatible engines?

Does anyone have a list of compatible engines for a Volvo 270 outdrive?

Re: 270 outdrive compatible engines?

Volvo used the 270 on many motors. You have to have the correct gear ratio for the type of motor.

What motor did your outdrive come off of?
    '88 Baretta Success 200
    Volvo Penta AQ260/275

'96 Weeres Suntanner 24
    '01 90hp Johnson

Comment

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

Why not tell Us what you've got goin' on, rather than asking broad unanswerable questions....
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply; I didnít think the gearing would be different, although now that I think about it, it makes sense.

The original engine was a Penta AQ130c, I am looking to replace the engine as it is really at the end of its life but I aim to keep the out drive as it is in good shape. Options seem to be limited but that is probably because I am looking for the wrong thing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Between the gear ratio of the drive, the exhaust tube that attaches to the transom shield, you are pretty much destined to keep the same basic engine. An overhead valve, volvo 4 cylinder engine. Only thing the bellhousing (flywheel cover) that attches to the drive is designed for.
          This is just the few major reasons. Since you are wanting to do re- engineeering, you will find many other reasons along the way if you try.
          Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

If your current motor is not damaged, cracked block or something, you may consider rebuilding that one. Otherwise your just seaching for the same motor.

Have you done a compression test? What's the rest of the story?
            '88 Baretta Success 200
            Volvo Penta AQ260/275

'96 Weeres Suntanner 24
            '01 90hp Johnson

Comment

I bought the boat on the cheap knowing that the engine would need a lot of work or replacing. The engine is not the original, it is obvious that it has been submerged (not in this boat) and possibly run after it was submerged without being overhauled. The cylinders have been bored out a long way and I am informed that it may not be a good idea to do it again, but it needs another re-bore (it has obviously seen some work) and the cooling and exhaust ports are all very badly corroded. I can save many of the original parts and so may be able to use them to rebuild another partially complete engine.

Aside from the engine, the boat is in good order it is a Draco 2000 and seems to have been looked after. I have already restored all of the wood work and the outdrive but the time has come to tackle the power plant issue.

Don S, it sounds like my search for another 130c is destined to go on, thanks for the advice, I could have found myself going down a black hole of engineering headaches.

Comment

Working...
              X