Quick Oil Drain hose/plug not draining oil.

Weiser

Cadet
I am a new boat owner. I have a Bayliner 2002 1954 with a MerCruiser Alpha 1 3.0 IL4. This motor is equipped with the quick drain hose that you pull through the bilge drain to drain the oil. Problem is, when I open the drain plug on the hose, nothing comes out. My dipstick shows a full crankcase. I pulled off the oil cap, pulled the dipstick out, and loosened up the oil filter to allow positive air return, but still no oil drains out. The hose is not kinked and is pulled straight out the bilge drain. Is there something I am missing? I don't want to revert to pumping the oil out the dipstick as the pump needed costs $50!

Thanks,
Brian

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Quick Oil Drain hose/plug not draining oil.

Take a wire coat hanger and run it thru the hose to clean out the gunk. Thats the only problem Ihave seen with the hose is that is where the gunk accumulates. Or if you have an electricians snake you can use it too.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

After making sure the drain valve is open, a little compressed air through the hose.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Try running the engine first to warm up the oil before draining it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

As stated above, gunk usually will clog it up.Try the wire coat hanger trick.If that won't do it compressed air should.

Weiser

Cadet

Thanks guys. I'll give these tips a try. I hope thats all this is.

haulnazz15

Captain

I would keep the compressed air to a minimum psi so you don't blow out any seals. 4-5psi should suffice.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

If there was some solid material in that hose wouldn?t the compressed air just blow them in the engine?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

These hoses drain VERY SLOWLY...you have to have patience.

I run the engine first, to warm up the oil. Then, I place a container under the hose. Then...I go back the next day, and my crankcase is always drained!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

These hoses drain VERY SLOWLY...you have to have patience.

I run the engine first, to warm up the oil. Then, I place a container under the hose. Then...I go back the next day, and my crankcase is always drained!

True on the slow drain.I had a Merc 496HO the other day that took at least 2 hours to drain the 9 quarts.