How do I bleed my trim cylinders?

jopa2388

Recruit
I was just wondering how it is I should bleed my trim cylinders. The boat hasn't been used in around 8 years, and the cylinders are only connected to the lines and not the out drive itself.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I bleed my trim cylinders?

Please give us your year and make of outdrive. That info is really needed to help you easier. Add your boat info to your signiture line so you dont have to enter it every time you post.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

If its mercruiser they say just up and down a few times while keeping an eye on the fluid level.. Eventually all the air will be removed.

ziggy

Admiral

If its mercruiser they say just up and down a few times while keeping an eye on the fluid level.. Eventually all the air will be removed.
for me, that's the alternative method to use. there is a bleeding procedure that is to be used if the above method don't work out. also for me. in both methods. the trim rams need to be disconnected from the drive at the aft pin. both methods require you to hang the rams vertical too from a quik read of the s/m that covers my 1975 system.. of course we still don't know if it's even a mercruiser.... so anything said, could be null and void, depending on what the op has..

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

If the lines have never been disconnected they may not even need to be bleed.If you don't have puddles of fluid anywhere you should be able to just run them up and down a few times.They will bleed themselves as the fluid passes through the pump if there is any air in the lines.Just make sure you keep the pump full!