Broken starter bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottdock

Cadet
A friend has a 1988 Regal Sebring with a 3.0 Mercruiser. The starter is a staggered, 2 long bolt mounting. The outter bolt keeps snapping off flush with the block. The starter has been changed several times with different brands, using new bolts. At least 2 or 3 times a year the bolt breaks. It seems to happen after the engine is hot, as it has never happened at the dock while cold.
Wondering if anyone has had this happen before?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Broken starter bolt

Ayuh,... 2 things,...
Retighten the bolts a few days after installation,...
And,..
Add the little angle bracket to the leading edge of the starter housing...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The starter has been changed several times with different brands, using new bolts.

What kind of "new bolts" are you using? Are they the right starter bolts with a knurled shaft? If not, they need to be. I also echo Bondo's recommendation of being sure to use the angle bracket on the front.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

are you using an OEM starter or an aftermarket starter? If it is aftermarket are you using any shims?

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

I had one of my starter bolts break on my old 3.0 too! How did you get the bolt out?!

Scottdock

Cadet

The starter I am using is a new starter which comes with 2 new bolts. Both bolts are the long type with the knurled part towards the head of the bolt. I have retorqued them every time the boat goes in the water. I do not see where a rear support bracket can be mounted. I may need to have a custom one made.
As of removing the broken bolt I had been lucky in the past by drilling a small hole and using an EZ out. This time I am removing the engine because I cannot get the bolt out!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Before you install the new one try this test.
take a tap, just to clean the threads not to go any deeper, insert just the starter bolts into the block, slightly tighten/snug up ,and measure the length from the block to the face of the bolt. now measure the thickness of the starter housing. there should be a difference in measurements.it`s possable your torqueing the bolt but not with the housing. You may be able to run a tap to deepen the thread depth.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

You sure do need that support bracket. You will continue to break starter bolts if it is not in place. The bracket mounts to the starter on the solenoid end of the starter (forward end) on the starter housing facing the block. There should be a stud on the starter housing there. The bracket then bolts to the block 5/16 inch bolt i believe.

Try drilling the broken bolt out with a LEFT HAND drill bit. This sometimes works when an easy out doesn't. Better that pulling an engine.

Good Luck!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only problem with that support bracket, is that most "Aftermarket" starters do not have a way of using it.
I have also learned from past experience to never use an aftermarket starter of anykind on a 3.0L. Very little difference in price, and the Merc starters always fit, no shims, and the bracket works........ EVERY time.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

I've owned 3 3.0's so far and always used a DB Electrical starter with absolutely no problem.

bill70

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone have a picture of the starter bracket? I will need to custom make one, but i cant seem to find a picture of it online.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here ya go:

DSCF6806.jpg

vjanda

Cadet

How long can a starter hang on with only 1 bolt holding it in place?
I found the second bolt snapped of some 1/4" inside the block :(
I am hoping it will last for another dozen fishing trips before I pull the engine.
Perhaps I should improvise and use a brick and wooden block to secure the starter in place like the picture above shows.
I don't want to risk the second bolt breaking when I'm 15 miles off shore chasing blue fin with just a single engine.
Thanks for any advice.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't want to risk the second bolt breaking when I'm 15 miles off shore chasing blue fin with just a single engine.

Ayuh,.... It Will,... If ya get that far...

Welcome Aboard,...

Start a thread of yer own, rather than hy-jackin' this antique...

Status
Not open for further replies.