Mercruiser 233 Ford 351 engine rotation

pollyserv

Recruit
I am in the process of restoring a 1973 Sea Ray 22 ft. It needs a new engine and I got a 233 Ford 351 W to put in it. It came from a marine scrap yard and it was run prior to my buying it. When I got it home I realized that the firing order is completely different from the stamping on the manifold and any old auto manuals I have. Since I am sure the motor ran on a test stand I don't understand how it can be so completely out of sequence, none of it appears to have been taken apart since it was stand run. Can anyone tell me how to identify if it is a right hand or standard left hand rotation before I put it in the boat. Also, does a reverse running engine have a completely out of sequence firing order?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pollyserv Len

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 233 Ford 351 engine rotation

Can anyone tell me how to identify if it is a right hand or standard left hand rotation before I put it in the boat. Also, does a reverse running engine have a completely out of sequence firing order?

Ayuh,... Roll it over on the starter,...

A Righthanded motor is of No use to you....

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Is the firing order on the intake manifold:
1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8
Next I would check the firing order from number one ON THE DIST CAP.
Next I would check for a 289/302 cam installed.
You didn't mention WHAT firing order this "running engine" is using.

sailor4you

Recruit

Firing order for a right engine rotation is 18456273. Rotation is viewed from the fly wheel end.

MikDee

Banned

If the rotation is wrong, isn't there a lever in the Drive, to convert it to reverse rotation? I know I read this many years ago about one of the Merc drives?