Bayliner 2.3L engine replacement?

RussellVA

Cadet
Hey Guys, newbie here.. I'm new to the life of boating. I just bought a 1990 Bayliner with the dreaded 2.3L Ford engine and OMC out drive. The only positive that I've come to find out is that it has a Cobra lower unit. I've read all the posts about this set up so I already know how most of you feel about it but it's mine now and I'll make the best of it. My question is; The engine block is cracked due to the winerization being incorrect or not done. the engine still runs and after using the muffs. everthing sounds good and seems to operate correctly. it's a shame the block is cracked because it fires right up but anyway I have a fresh 2.3L engine out of a 1985 Mustang setting in my garage and I plan on swapping them out starting 3/12/09. are there any secrets of the trade I should know before starting? I've had several projects over the last 20 years as far as building cars and trucks from the ground up so I should easily figure this out. I just wanted to get any helpful hints that can be provided and make sure that the basic auto block was the same as the one in the boat. externally it looks exactly the same. I know that I need to use all the bolt on parts from the boat engine. any help would greatly be appreciated. thank you and happy boating

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bayliner 2.3L engine replacement?

As the senior officers would say Welcome to Iboats.. either the sky is the limit or spare no expense that is up to you. the OMC has been gone 10 years. but there are some aftermarket parts out there. Im wondering is your replacement block the same cast iron or aluminum. and hope you dont have to pay labor. I too have an omc. good luck

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

so I should easily figure this out.

I think you'll find it pretty straightforward.

You will want to replace the tin core plugs from the Mustang block with brass ones so they don't rust and leak.

Get an OMC manual off eBay or somewhere. Seloc in a pinch, Clymer not recommended.

chiefalen

Captain

Welcome aboard !

What do you mean by fresh 85' mustang engine ?

Is it rebuilt ?

RussellVA

Cadet

Welcome aboard !What do you mean by fresh 85' mustang engine ?Is it rebuilt ?
"Fresh" meaning I rebuilt it for a friends son. he put less than 4k miles on it then totaled the car. I pulled the engine and it's been setting in my garage for a few months. It was suppose to go in another Mustang but instead he bought a new Ford Focus. He gave me the engine for the time I had in it. I didn't really want it at the time but now it looks like it worked out.

RussellVA

Cadet

I have the motor pulled out. peice of cake!!!!! I had it setting on the floor is less the 2 hours. I saw a post where someone painted the engine compartment. pardon my vocabulary, I don't know the boating terms yet. But it's the place the engine goes. my question is where do I get this paint and what is it called?

Bondo

Staff member

my question is where do I get this paint and what is it called?

Ayuh,.... Rustoleum from your local Hardware Store....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I saw a post where someone painted the engine compartment.
Yes....that would be me. (among others)

I used Interlux BilgeKote

Here's some good instructions on it's use

Bilge Kote is very durable if you follow the directions.

Cheers,

Rick
bravoIII2.gif

BEFORE

AFTER
new1.jpg