• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Chevy 305 has rough idle at 8 degrees timing but gets smooth at 16 degrees - 600 RPM.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy 305 has rough idle at 8 degrees timing but gets smooth at 16 degrees - 600 RPM.

What would cause a non vortec carburated Chevy small block to idle well at 16 degrees BTDC but idle rough and erratic at 8 degrees? The engine will run good at that high spark advance but will obviously ping at higher RPMs. When the engine is set to 6 - 8 degrees BTDC the engine idles rough at 600 - 700. It runs great between 1000 and 5000 though.
    Better run away!
    I gotta twin engine stringer powered cabin cruiser!

sigpic

1980 28' Imp Kansa w/2x OMC 260HP 350 Stringers.

Re: Chevy 305 has rough idle at 8 degrees timing but gets smooth at 16 degrees - 600

Idle mixture on the carb needs adjusting or the carb needs a proper rebuilding.
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Re: Chevy 305 has rough idle at 8 degrees timing but gets smooth at 16 degrees - 600

timing chain could be very loose, you can check by removing the dist cap, rotate motor in normal direction untill timing mark is at "0", mark rotor, rotate crankshaft in opposite direction untill rotor moves. a tight chain moves the rotor instantly, a worn chain might get 10-20 degrees difference before the rotor moves.
      NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

I thought that too. But few marine engines live long enough to wear out a timing chain. Another symptom would be the timing mark jumping around a little bit and a general loss of power.
        But Don's on a roll today. If I see one more of his posts like this, I'm starting a game show "Name that Problem" with him as the star! (like name that tune - I can name that engine problem in one symptom!). I would yield to his expertise before ripping the front of the engine apart. Adjusting the carb would be a prerequisite anyway.
        Besides, we don't have clue what else might have or have not been done or how old it is or anything else.
        sigpic
        Nothing is so broken that Government can't make it worse.

Comment

What year is this 305. Don s is, as always on the money. Carb must be ruled out before anything else.

With what little info we were given the conclusion must be the carb first.

Was this discovered cause you just bought the boat ?

You were doing a tune up and was timing the motor ?

Comment

I tried rotating the crank as suggested and found a 10 - 15 degree difference between the distributor and the crank. I took off the timing cover and was amazed that there was a very loose double roller chain in there. I replaced the chain today and look forward to seeing how it runs tomorrow. The new chain is as tight as a barbed wire fence. I also have a new Q-jet on the way.
            Better run away!

sigpic

Comment

They don't call him the Doctur for nothing.

Comment

Took her out to the lake today and ran her for about 2 - 3 hours. The idle is much much better and the thing fires right up, but the idle is still a little bit erratic. When I say erratic I mean sometimes it will hum at 650 RPMs and after running it hard for a few minutes or after it has been shut off for about 20 minutes it doesn't want to idle at more than 450 RPMs. I think changing the carburetor will make a big difference.
                Better run away!

sigpic

Comment

You may have water in your carb and/or the water seperating fuel filter. Have you checked?

How about a little information on your engine. Need answers to #1 in the link below.
                  http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430
                  Don S.

sigpic

Comment

I do not have water in the fuel. I have checked that.

I'm sorry I didn't put all the proper info on the engine.

1982ish Chevy 305 HO with 4MV Q-Jet and stock intake bolted up to an OMC Stringer 800 with a 14X14 / 14X16 prop
                    Better run away!

sigpic

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture on the carb? Not idle speed, idle mixture?
                      Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Yes I have, I found the port idle screw to be a lot more sensitive than the starboard idle screw. The port side will kill the engine if closed where as the starboard side will make it just run a bit rougher when closed. I followed the instructions on adjusting the carb's idle mixture and speed and have the screws set to the "optimum setting". I have just ordered a remaned Q-Jet 4MV with an electric choke (My current carb has no choke at all). I have a feeling this one may be bad. I will post what happens after I install the new carb.

Engine compression is good and I put a new gasket on the intake when I installed new cylinder heads. That leaves either ignition or fuel delivery.
                        Better run away!

sigpic

Comment

a non responsive idle mix screw is a good sign there is something wrong wiht the carb

"Reel Justice"
                          Trophy 2059
                          Bravo 1 Drive
                          Mercruiser 5.7 250hp

Comment

I don't want speak out of turn here but if the carb is replaced and issue still persists would the next order of buisness be the ignition module that controls the spark advance?. If in fact this engine has electronic ignition?. And if so don't purchase after market by OEM.
                            1996 Searay 175 Five Series
                            3.0LX ser #F553706
                            Alpha1Gen2 ser #OF530668
                            1998 Chevy1/2 tonW/T
                            "faster dad faster" my baby girl in the tube

Comment

I wish it had electronic ignition. It has a points system and an old prestolite mechanical marine distributor. Because I plan on doing a lot of trolling I have considered upgrading it to a high performance electronic ignition.

I find it hard to believe that I can run the engine at full throttle with a bad carb for minutes at a time without any issues other than a possible lack of power. I would think it would run lean and cause an overheat or detonation issue.
                              Better run away!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X