Ford 302 and 190 OMC question

Old & In the way

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
Im considering a 1984 Seaswirl with a 302 and 190 OMC, the seller claims
a new crate 302 290HP with a high performance cam, with a 600 flow carb. I am concerned that this is a mismatch for the outdrive ? It also needs a new exhaust maifold.

The price is great.
Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ford 302 and 190 OMC question

Ayuh,...

OMC is a Dead company,... Been Dead for over 10 Years...

Ford motors haven't been used in boats, Nearly as long....

Best thing to do is Run,...
Go find a boat powered by Volvo, or Mercruiser.... You'll be Happier in both the short,+ long runs...

WizeOne

Commander

Hi
Im considering a 1984 Seaswirl with a 302 and 190 OMC, the seller claims
a new crate 302 290HP with a high performance cam, with a 600 flow carb. I am concerned that this is a mismatch for the outdrive ? It also needs a new exhaust maifold.

The price is great.
Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Bond-o does not speak with forked tongue, but IMHO if the price is 'right' and you can verify the integrity of the drive, there are still a lot of them out there literally running circles around the black anchors.:p

On the motor end of the deal, 'high performance cam' scares me. The Ford engine is a great motor but if it has the wrong cam, regardless of the HP, it could be a real dog. Marine motors want their power band from idle to midrange. High performance cams put that band from midrange up thru rpms that you cannot use in a boat.

Maybe that's why he wants to get rid of it?

chiefalen

Captain

I have a omc and my advice is look down at your feet and say don't fail me now.

Run away, you don't have enough grief in your life, adding a ford motor and a omc to your life will make you miserable, get a boat that will make you happy, glad to be alive.

You want a gm based motor merc or volvo newest you can get your hands on and post here when your series about the next boat you might want.

Just not this one.

a70eliminator

Captain

The ford 302 is a well proven motor, from the trans am circuit back in the late sixties to the family sedan to the pickup truck and econoline series and it's still being used today. Gm's are cheaper by the dozen is all I can figure and why you don't see many Ford marine engines, does either Volvo or Merc even use a Ford engine nowadays?

WizeOne

Commander

I have a omc and my advice is look down at your feet and say don't fail me now.

Run away, you don't have enough grief in your life, adding a ford motor and a omc to your life will make you miserable, get a boat that will make you happy, glad to be alive.

You want a gm based motor merc or volvo newest you can get your hands on and post here when your series about the next boat you might want.

Just not this one.

chiefalen, do you own a Rube Goldberg black anchor yet? With all of their gimbals, bearings, boots, cables, pumps, rams, abysmal turn radius, abysmal tilt rate, etc, ad nauseum.

Aside from the fact that OMC is out of bidna, I think you are being a little bit hard on the stringers. I've always said that if OMC put a little more effort in the stringers, they could have buried the black anchors. Certainly, an electric shift is an abysmal place to jump in but the later ones have merits.

And as for your criticism of Ford, there is more aftermarket interest in SBF's today than there has ever been. They are bullet proof and they are blowing the doors off SBC's on the racing circuits.

Besides, GM is just about ready to go into Chapter 11. Ford has not taken a dime of bailout money!