Mercruiser 4.3 oil filter location

TahoeDaddy

Recruit
I just purchased a 2004 Tahoe Q4SF with a 4.3 Merc. 190hp.I went to change the oil and for the life of me could not locate an oil filter. So my question is 1) Is there an oil filter on this engine? 2) where the heck is it located?

It is equipped with an oil drain hose that you pull out of the bilge drain plug hole. This took a couple of hours for the oil to drain as it just dribbled out. Is this how it's suposed to work?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 oil filter location

Ayuh,...

The block mounted Oil Filters are down low, aft, portside of the block...
And,..
Yes, the remote lines drain Very Slowly...

TahoeDaddy

Recruit

I have a lot of mechanical experience in the automotive side with GM engines. I have built several Street Rods and muscle cars all with small blocks.
I looked this engine over carefully, I used a mirror, and I felt all over the block also. I even looked at both sides just to make sure. Does anyone know for sure that ALL 4.3 V6 mercruisers do indeed have an oil filter on the block? Even in the Mercruiser parts catalog for this year and model they do not list an oil filter. They do however list a remote oil filter mounting kit. The fact that I cannot find one on the block makes me think that they built them without one unless you added a remote.
I could not believe they would not but I have not owned one of these with the V6.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone know for sure that ALL 4.3 V6 mercruisers do indeed have an oil filter on the block?

Yes they do, in the Same Exact Place as the automotive engine. Unless they have a remote filter.
If it's not on the block where bondo suggested, try looking just in front of the port exhaust riser. It's probably mounted upside down and has large diameter (1"OD) hoses going down to the location where a block mounted filter would be at.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Don't take this the wrong way.... but if you don't know where the oil filter is on a 4.3 i'm sure your going to get confused by port and starboard...
So I'll simplify it.
With the engine cover off.
Your facing the front of the engine, your facing the pulleys and the belts.
Look at the back of the block, behind and under the exhaust manifolds, to YOUR RIGHT!!!
hope that helps :)

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got a 4.3lx and my finlter is located in the back right hand corner... a PITA to get too.

ranchos

Cadet

I have 2005 same boat q4sf, filter is just as everyone says, bilge hose drains very slow, if you remove the right hand strut on engine cover, can reach down under and with/without filter wrench get the filter off, if it had a remote setup the filter would be clearly visible on top. I have a posting a couple above you @ oil pressure jumping, check it out and let me know if you have had this problem, (i'm thinking sender/guage/nothing wrong?)

TahoeDaddy

Recruit

Thanks for the responses. I will be attacking the filter this weekend.